HELP! rear diff fill plug welded shut!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Ronnell21, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Ronnell21

Ronnell21 New Member

i just took my 97 suburban c-1500 to jiffy lube "just bought it about 2 weeks ago" since i just got it and its my front rear wheel drive vehicle. plus its a little cold to change the oil myself. now im no stranger to working on cars, just not rear wheel drive ones. i know what i know and when to ask for help. that brings me here. i took my truck to jiffy lube for a oil change and check out the rear diff fluid. while i was waiting, they told me that the drain plug was welded on and they cant get it off. :grrrrrr: now ive heard of drilling a new hole and plugging it. is that possible? and am i just screwed. now i have retapped my oil pan on my taurus but i know nothing about suburbans. thanks!

2. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If I remember correctly, your rear diff doesn't have a drain plug, just a fill/check plug, this is very common on 1500'. The 2500 and 3500's have drain plugs. You could try drilling out a small hole in the center of the plug and using a drill bit still back out to remove. If that doesn't work, I guess drill the entire hole, just smaller than the original size, and re-tap the hole. Either way, you will have to pull off the rear diff cover to drain the oil fluid that would now have metal shaving in it from the drilling.

3. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Can't yopu just remove the cover and replace the gasket?

4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have seen this many times in the past several years working with other shops. Believe me when I tell you this. The little boys and girls working at Jiffy Lube are great kids but they are by no means automotive technicians.

Take your truck to any real repair shop and they will remove your fill plug. :)

5. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

No fair, I worked at Jiffy Lube for almost 2 years! :lol:

I'm just messing with you Jimmie. But Jimmie is right. Typically, the guys at JL really don't know how to do anything past pulling a plug and changing a filter. 5 guys in my shop worked for over a hour and couldn't figure out how to get a filter's face place off of an old truck's mounting plate. It took ME less than a minute to get it off.

6. Ronnell21

Ronnell21 New Member

cool thanks, i will find a shop that wont take me to the cleaners, or if im feeling froggy, crawl underneath and take apart my self. leaning more toward the first... thanks!