1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Help - Serpentine Belt 2000 5.3l Suburban

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by rstoomanyhobbies, Jun 30, 2007.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. rstoomanyhobbies

rstoomanyhobbies New Member

Hi, I want replace my belt on the Suburban but can't readiy tell how to release the tension on what I believe is the tension pully. I found that a 5/8" socket fits the bolt inside the pully but do I "pull" the pulley away from the belt (toward the pass. side of the truck) or ??? Most posts/threads that I've read just say to release the tension and slip the belt off and new one on but this one isn't hitting me that simple. This pulley it just to the left of the alternator at the top of the engine - just behind the fan.

Any advice would be appreciated, going to give it another look in the morning.

thanks!

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

The entire thing pivots and takes pressure off of the pully. Believe me, you can get a 2x4 and push down on the thing and the tension will come off the belt. The 5/8 socket might not let you get enough pull unless you have a really long ratchet.

3. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Try turning to the right.

I use a socket with a 24" breaker bar attached. It takes a lot of pressure to release the tension and position the belt. Make sure you get the right belt. I drove around for months with the wrong belt and it kept jumping off. (Hence the 5/8 socket and breaker bar under the seat) I don't need it now, but for some reason I keep the tool handy. As a general rule, the bolt does double duty holding the tensioner on, and is the pry point to loosen the belt tension so "righty tighty" is usually the direction to go.

4. Rumpamuro

Rumpamuro Rockstar 100 Posts

every serpentine belt ive ever replaced on a gm ive always used a 3/8 ratchet right into the hole on the tensioner and just have the ratchet on "off" and pry it a bit and pull the belt off, i thought that was like a universal gm "thing"

5. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Seen 'em

I have seen the tensioners you mention that are provisioned for use of a 3/8 drive ratchet/breaker bar. (Not sure what car/engine) I just changed the one on my 93 and it was not equipped as such.
    [​IMG]

6. Rumpamuro

Rumpamuro Rockstar 100 Posts

sorry sorry what am i saying the newer vehicles have that tensioner, the older vehicles its a pain in the arse because you have to remove the two power steering bolts and then the spacer etc etc i forgot that was a gm i worked on like 2 days ago... im getting old. sigh. lol.

1 person likes this.
  7. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

That’s the one on my 94 Burb as well. It is a lot easier to release the tension with a longer ratchet, breaker bar. 2’ I have found is the best length for this job as the longer the bar the less physical strength is needed to release the tensioner.

The flat pulley is the one you need to put the socket on, black in the above picture.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  8. 6camaro9

6camaro9 New Member

what about a 2001 5.3 suburban?
    i need to change my belts both of them, how?

thanks...

9. rstoomanyhobbies

rstoomanyhobbies New Member

Well, not being able to find how to get to the darn thing and looking at removing the stuff to get to it, I paid my local shop a 1/2 hour to do it. I'm sure it's easy and if I could have watched them do it,,, would have kicked myself - but it's done and now I can get on w/ life.

***** I didn't realize there is a seperate AC belt - mine was on its last leg so if you're doing the main belt, better plan on doing the AC too.

thanks!