HELP!!! silverado fuel problems.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by gkist06, Aug 15, 2009.

1. gkist06

gkist06 New Member

I have a 2000 silverado 1500 with a 5.3. Got it 2 years ago and changed the plugs, wires, and threw a k&n filter into it. A couple weeks ago I was driving home on the interstate and my truck started to choke and sputter. When I hit the gas it would get worse and felt like it was backfiring. After pulling over for 5 mins. I got back on and was fine for about 20 miles till it did it again. Whenever put the gas to the floor it would downshift hard and excellerate to 75 then cruise for awhile and slowly lose power down to about 40mph. When I got it home I checked my wires, cleaned the air intake, and oiled the filter. After I put the filter in it got worse to the point were one day I could limp it to work and the next time it would barely idle in the morning before it died.I replaced one of the front O2 sensors. nothing. I cleaned the maf sensor and replaced the fuel filter and it got better to were I could get round town most the time with the occasional hiccup and backfiring incident( i think oil from the filter clogged the maf???). but on the interstate it will run decent enough to get me around but occasionally it either stumbles and backfires when i stomp on it or it will downshift hard and excellerate hard up to the speed i want. I have scoured the forums looking for answer and think either i need to get new plugs( wires seem fine), new maf, or maybe the fuel pressure regulator. I plan to get the fuel pressure checked tomorrow and have codes on here too. cel has been on and off since first occurance. really hope its not the fuel pump. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I think you are headed in the right direction. Get the "codes" checked and go from there. It's better than having to pull the fuel pump and not need to. Good luck!

3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'm willing to bet you over oiled the K&N and got oil in your Mass Airflow sensor. This will cause a loss of power and harsh shifting. The oil coats the sensor and it skews the feedback to the computer.

Clean the sensor with Mass Airflow Cleaner or BrakeKleen. Don't use carb cleaner and do not touch the sensor or blow shop air on it.

4. rph74

rph74 New Member

I had similar symptoms, except that my car would backfire/stumble EVERY time I floored the gas pedal. Luckily for me, I have a buddy who happens to be a GMC tech with 10 years experience. He replaced the knock sensors and fuel pump, no more problems now.

5. gkist06

gkist06 New Member

Cleaned the MAF again and seems to be running alot better. If problems persist I'll probably end up changing it out for a new one. Thanks for thw hwlp.

6. You might be getting fuel into the plugs.... have you noticed if its been missing?

7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Help silverado fuel problems

I think Jimmiee is correct about over oiling you K&N. Try installing your stock type paper filter and clean the MAF and check the airbox for oil.

8. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I like AirAid with the spray on, it's hard to over oil it. Maybe you should check out AirAid some time, but it's a good thing i found this out, just in case.