HELP!!!! Stuck Transmission filter seal, and I mean stuck!

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by tgts99, Mar 27, 2013.

Newest Photos

1. tgts99

tgts99 New Member

Hey Ya'll

Well like the title says, stuck tranny filter seal. I've tried the hook picks to pull it out and a pointy pick to get between the seal and the housing but not working. Spent 3hrs on just that and 3hrs just trying to get the pan out. Got it down no problem, but out was a bear. So I've done a bunch of goggle searches for this and they all say the same. I cant't seem to get anything wedged in to get a pair of needle nose pliers on. I've read, try a 1/2 inch threaded brass fitting with a 90 on the end to thread it in then pop it with a hammer. Has anyone tried this with any success? Also seen the hex head and wing nut trick, again has this worked for any? Thanks guys for any good advice. Just a DIY'r trying to take care of my vehicle. Which btw is a 99 Z71 Ex-cab. My truck is out of commision till I get this thing out. Only my second post, be nice :)
  2. tgts99

tgts99 New Member

Got it! Finally! Had to use the screwdriver and hammer trick. Took 5 minutes, just hated the thought of this method. And then the new seal didn't want to go in either. So if any body is struggling with that part, tapping won't get it accomplished. I was being to gentle, It will require a good smack. At least mine did.
  3. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

glad you got things apart, now to get it all back together!

Alex
  4. tgts99

tgts99 New Member

Yea I got it. Definately learned some tricks along the way. Like lower the exhaust on the driver side, boy does that's make a world of difference. All buttoned up and all seems well. Now onto the next project. Changing the thermostat. Mine runs at the line between 160 & 210. From what I've read on here it should be up around the 210, maybe just under. So if this is true could some one confirm this please.
  5. Skippy

Skippy New Member 100 Posts

Yep, 205-210 is the norm at warm temp.

Cheers,

Skippy.
  6. tgts99

tgts99 New Member

Hey Skippy,

That's what I thought. So that middle mark is 185 correct? Curious how our truck calls for the 187 t-stat but runs 200, but I don't understand a lot of things, haha. Just popped the hood to change it, pretty straight forward isn't it? Any hidden concerns? Thanks
  7. Skippy

the thermostat temperature denotes the temp at which the t-stat changes from closed to open loop, essentially allowing the cooling to enter more or less of the system. The operating temperature under normal conditions is above the t-stat temp.
  8. tgts99

tgts99 New Member

Yep got it done, now she runs at a line below 210. This is awesome, so how much mite this give me a gain in fuel mileage? I drive back and forth to work pretty much all highway 15 miles one way and am only getting 14.5 mpg. This thing doesn't uget driven in town hardly at all. Hoping for 17ish, and I drive very conservative.
  9. Skippy

Far more involved than engine temp in MPG. And I've never seen a 3.5 MPG gain with a thermostat change. I HAVE seen a 20% gain when someone fully inflated their tires though, so I highly recommend making sure your tires are fully inflated to the max pressure. Even a 10 psi difference can have a huge impact on MPG. Drop weight in your cab (toolboxes, extra junk), and unless necessary, don't carry sand bags and stuff in the back of your truck.

A tune up will make a substantial difference too (if your plugs are 70K or older, there's MPG just waiting there).

Cheers!

Skippy
  10. tgts99

tgts99 New Member

I definitely understand that more is involed in mpg than just a thermostat. A little history on my truck. I purchased it at the first of the year from my friend who purchased it new. The truck only has 105k miles. So I've been trying to get everything I can up to snuff. I've done new plugs, new rear brakes and rotors, new tires, new shocks, an alignment, tranny fluid and filter, and the new t-stat. Oh and lubed the yoke with the GM "special lubricant" clunk now gone. So, I just remember reading about the open and closed loop thing and how if the engine does not get to the proper operating temp then the loop stays open or closed, don't remember which. Thus the t-stat change. So hoping for some better fuel mileage 14.5 to 17 would be a 2.5 mpg gain. Surely thats doable isnt it? If the truck is finally operating at the correct temp? Oh, holy cow does my heater work now.

Thanks

Tim