1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help !. . . Tough item to find ?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by JTWard, Dec 13, 2013.

1. JTWard

JTWard Member 1 Year Gold Member 100 Posts

I have a 1990 Chevrolet Silverado with a 305 V8 and I need the small, what looks like a 7mm O ring seal to the t of h engines oil dipstick ? Using my caliper it looks like a 7 mm O ring. Anyone know where I can find this seal ? can't find any on Rockauto or Ebay ?
  2. zippstripp

zippstripp Member 1 Year

Go to the hardware or parts store and get one. It's just an o-ring.
  3. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

Exactly.... lowes and autozone sells and assorted O ring kit.
  4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I would think a regular o-ring would break down with contact of the oil/gas. It would be the same as fuel injector o rings, they're not just auto zone o rings, but don't take my word for it.
  5. Guardrail

Guardrail Member

O-rings are rubber. They do not break down with oil. Oil pan gasket? Rubber. Oil filter gasket? Rubber. Heck, a semi tire has over a gallon of oil in it, just to make it.

A regular o-ring will be fine.
  6. Albert

Albert New Member

Good Day!

In my opinion you should really seek help of an automobile technition to get it fixed. If ebay and Rockauto are'nt helping, may be you should try other estores such as alibaba or advanceautoparts.com. They too have large collections of these O-rings and Yes! Gaurdrail is right, Its just the rubber man!
  7. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

JT [MENTION=61229]JTWard[/MENTION], if you want my 2 cents worth, this is probably one of the times that the dealer is a good place to go (if, in deed, you can buy something that small from a dealer)
  8. JTWard

JTWard Member 1 Year Gold Member 100 Posts

Hi Ray, I tried the local chevy dealership, but being the ruck is 22 years old, they couldn't even look it up. So I went to Home Depot plumbing section, a got a #5 faucet O ring pretty damn close. So I think I got it. Cost $2.11 for 10 O rings.

Thank you for al your help !
  9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yes, o-rings are rubber. But certain types of rubber for certain applications. If you put a regular rubber o-ring on a power steering line then you would have issues. First, they may not be able to hold their shape under the pressure. Second, the fluid will eat them. Same with o-rings for fuel injectors, use a standard bathroom o-ring and you are screwed. Most of the specialty o-rings are made of nitrile or viton. I worked with o-rings for years at my old job. there is material differences: Neoprene, urethane, silicon, fluorosilicone, just to name a few. everything reacts differently yo gas, oil, diesel fuel. So, a general statement that they are just rubber is terribly inaccurate
  10. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

If your really that concerned about the o-ring breaking down and can't find one... just buy a aftermarket replacement dipstick kit and it will have one. I don't think it would be all that expensive... and could get in at summit.