Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

help! transfer case noise

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Andy H, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Andy H

Andy H New Member

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I just bought a 2002 silverado extended cab about a month ago. It is a 4.8 v8 with a 4L60E transmission and an NP2 transfer case. The truck has 72,000 miles on it.

I am getting a chattering noise that kinda sounds like a dry bearing. It mainly only makes the noise in the 40 - 60 mph range. However, it sometimes makes the noise for a second while it is shifting from 1 - 2. It also makes the noise when in 4wd too. When it starts making the noise, three things I have found will stop it.

A. let off the gas and the noise immediately stops, back on the gas, and it starts again
    B. manualy put the transmission in 3rd gear and the noise goeas away
    C. either push forward or pull backward slightly on the transfer case shifter

I believe the noise is in the transfer case. I checked the fluid in the transfer case and it is about an inch below the fill hole. I have also checked the transmission fluid and it is good and full.

Here's is an audio clip of the noise.
    http://webpages.charter.net/hawk25/noise.mp3

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
    Andy
  2. When my front drive shaft robber boot fell off and all the grease fell out it made the same noise even in 2 wheel drive it also did the noise when it shifted into second gear. Have you put your truck in to 4x4? if so did it make the noise louder? When i replaced my drive shaft all the noise went away. let me now what you find out.