1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

help will it fit 305 in 85 burb [Expired Topic]

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by scubajohn, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scubajohn

scubajohn New Member

i have a 1985 gmc suburban i use on the ranch i have a 350 with a pasenger side dip stik can i put a 305 with a driver side dip stick in it? beside the dip stick what about the heads will the exaust bolt up as is
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but it has more to do with the year of manufacture (what year in the engine) and the block style. For the most part, you can swap out any small block chevy engine from 1960 until the late 80's (88 or 89?). It's the same block.

If the engine is built after that, you'll have issues.
  3. scubajohn

scubajohn New Member

thanks and heres more info

the engine is out of the 70s and i was told the head may have diferant exaust bolt holes than my my manifolds hoping to avoid any suprises thanks again for any info
    john
  4. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts

It's possible that the bolt pattern is different, but I'm inclined to say it's not.

Do you have the 305 right now? can you do a visual inspection/comparison of the heads?
  5. Davandy

Davandy Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I did such a engine swap on a C30 86.

I had a lot of problems; the manifolds are different if the dipstick is on the driver side.

You can’t use the manifold from the 350 because the dipstick is in the way and it won’t fit in anyway.

If you use the manifold from the 305 those come out higher under the car so this isn’t an option

The only thing you can do is install headers, we finally did that it was the only solution.
  6. TrailLeadr

Looks like I stand corrected. Thanks for clearing that up. Sorry.:redface:
  7. scubajohn

scubajohn New Member

maybe a custom dipstick

if the heads fit i could fabricate a dipstick on the other side so that is my bigest worry unless someone sees more problems thanks
    john
  8. Davandy

Davandy Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If you use a couple of headers you don't have to modify anything on the engine
  9. TrailLeadr

Installing headers would be a positive step in the right direction. So it would be advisable to get them for that install.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.