1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Help with a v6 silverado 08

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by mike2318, Jun 21, 2011.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. mike2318

mike2318 New Member

I HAVE A 4.3 V6 IT WAS JUST GOING TO BE A SHOW TRUCK BUT I WANT MORE POWER AND SPEED NOW. what can i do to get that i have a 8in lift and 22in rims and 35in tires it runs strong but i want some more speed and power please send me links or any suggestions please!!

2. sgtsjj

sgtsjj Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club, have you done anything to the drive train yet?

3. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I really dont know where to start.....I would say go FI and get some new gears at the least. I rode in a '07 NNBS with 35's with stock 3.42's and the 5.3 and it was weak. Either deal with the V6 for now or you have a big project in front of you.

Lets see some pics of the 8" lift and 35's!!

4. McMahan

McMahan Rockstar 100 Posts

Best bet would go F/I change the ring and pinion gears or build a nice 408 for her

5. mike2318

mike2318 New Member

nothing at all idk where to start

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

what are some good gears?

6. McMahan

McMahan Rockstar 100 Posts

Honestly I would start with your gears, nice stall, shift kit, do some mods with your fuel system, full exhaust and a custom tune

You can get so much out of a custom tune,

7. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would look into some Yukon gears and look at some 4.55 or something along those lines.

8. 98Hotrod98

98Hotrod98 Rockstar 100 Posts

X2 @ ajarman, 4.56 gears will be your biggest improvement.

With that 200hp v6 there's just not much you can do unless your willing to start a project ( ie. rebuild top-end of motor, or go superchager ). Bolt-ons might get you another 20hp/tq max, which will help, but still be nothing compared to the v8's out there. I would recommend optimizing your drive train as much as possible so you use what power you have the best you can.

1) gears
    2) torque converter
    3) trans shift kit
    4) Bolt on engine performance mods
    5) Custom Tune
    6) ** reducing tire size will give you a big improvement.

Note: Your MPG will drop like a rock with those 4.56 gears as you will be running at 3k rpm on the highway, but at least you will be in your strongest torque curve at that time which should make your truck "feel" peppy.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  9. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club. I would install either 4.10 or 4.56 gears. Your transmission will love you for it.:great:

10. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

THe size of the tires will effectivly reduce that number. You may be running a couple of hundred rpms more but hardly any that you will notice. My buddy just did this with a S-15 Sonoma (2002 i think) he has 35in tires, and 4.56s with the 195HP 4.3L motor and it runs nearly the same RPMs as before. Your milage will actually go up from what it is now since the motor wont be lugging around as much. So a set of 4.56s would be my VERY first mod with that size of tires.

As to more power and speed we need to know what you are thinking. If you dont want an engine transplant then i would put in a supercharger, long tube headers, then a good custom tune. that should be good for a 30% or more power increase. if you want more you will need to tear the motor apart, and add in much stroner parts.