1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help with aiming headlights ~ GMC Yukon XL

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by Pikey, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I bought a set of GM OEM Denali headlights for the yukon xl today. I installed them and am attempting to get them aimed properly. I know @SurrealOne has done this with his lights. (No LMGTFY please Surreal!:no:) I did google it and that is how I came to this point. Here are my questions, How do I know what height to set them at as a baseline? How do I know that they are at the correct angle (left and right) I don't want to blind other drivers but if they are to low then I am losing out on distance. I put them in and pulled up to the garage door. I made sure the cutoff was even for both lights. I then put piece of tape at the top of the cutoff. Then I put a piece of tape 2 1/8" below that piece. I backed up 25 feet and the cutoff hits right at the top of the lower line. Perfect as DOT specifies a 2.1-2.5" drop over 25 feet. But, if my base height is incorrect then it is all off anyway. I also noticed at 25 feet the cutoff does not line up perfectly like it did at 1 foot. the drivers side cutoff seems to slant down toward the passenger side a small amount. I have not messed with the other adjuster because I have to take them in and out every time and did not have time tonight. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts

3. Pikey

Thanks [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION] . That is much better than the crap I found searching google.
  4. SurrealOne

It's the first thing that comes up when one searches for 'how to aim headlights' and yes, it's thorough -- but Popular Mechanics' stuff usually is. This begs the question of what the heck you were searching for...
  5. Pikey

lol! I have no idea. Apparently I was drunk. Which is odd because I did not drink at all that day!!!
  6. SurrealOne

Methinks I should have responded with another lmgtfy link, initially. :)