1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Audio Help with audio setup for my 1992 gmc sierra single cab

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by ANTEC900, Nov 21, 2011.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. ANTEC900

ANTEC900 New Member

Im looking at makeing a custom sub box for my 1992 gmc sierra single cab
    I can cut and put the box together but have no clue what the dimensions should be

Im also not sure what subwoofer to get, I dont want to spend alot on it but I want it to hit hard
    Any advice would be good

2. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Get in there and measure for the demensions. Everyone is gonna give you personal opinions on what sub(s) to get. I'd go online and research reviews and find the best one for you from there.

3. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Don't waste your time online. Go to your local audio shops, tell them your music preference, listen to what they have to say and finally, listen to their subs. Pick which one you think sounds best

The dimensions are subwoofer specific. Sounds like you won't have much room so go for maybe a sealed box using the minimum dimension requirements for the sub you chose.

4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

x2 as there's no substitute for seeing/hearing in person. If you're still unsure after a visit, go to several shops and listen. Once you know what you think you want THEN research your short list online and perhaps order online -- as shops charge an ugly premium that online vendors tend not to. And by the way, Amazon has LOTS of things Crutchfield has ... for less than Crutchfield. :)

5. zigger215

True on the online shopping but :). But if something fails in your system and you bring it to a shop to look at, hey might give you the stink eye when they realize your equipment is from the web. Just keep that in mind :). Not all shops may do that though.

6. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That ugly premium is called overhead. Most online shops dont have the overhead that a local shop has, however, if you dont mind waiting to return something that isnt right and waiting to have it shipped back etc... online shops are a good route.

Sometimes there is no substitute for good old fashioned local customer service.

7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

True enough. However, the cost of local shop overhead is sick. I saved -thousands- by ordering online and installing things, myself. Also the quality of my work was higher than local shops I've encountered ... as I solder my electrical connections, wrap my electrical bundles, seal holes that I must drill, apply dielectric grease to ground points and battery terminals, am careful not to break things (clips that hold pillar covers in place, etc), and the like.

I've seen the average shop's approach and it's a hack/slash job in most cases. You do better in the quality of work department with a premium shop ... but you'll pay dearly for it and they are usually backed up in terms of work (meaning you're going to wait to use one). If you do good work and are going to end up waiting in line for a premium shop ... then why not use the premium shop ONLY to listen and help solidify a decision, order online, and do the work yourself? Cheaper, solid work is inarguable. Less filling, tastes great!

8. zigger215

As a former installer at two different shops I have to sympathize with shoppy purchases! :). But surreal, your point isn't lost on me

9. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I guess I am lucky to have a local shop that is locally owned and they do a good job on installs. I have had issues with broken clips etc but its easily fixed. The prices on some things are more but not alot. Generally by the time I figure in shipping and the time for me to put it in.... a 50-60 dollars savings isnt worth me ordering it online.

I can run a amp for 6 months and if I am decide I am not happy with it I can take it back and exchange it getting full credit. Now you dont get that kind of customer service from any online shop and I have yet to see it from the big name shops or box stores!