1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help with code.....

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Oscarvan, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Oscarvan

Oscarvan New Member

On the Suburban I have an intermittent "service engine light" which I understand to mean that there is an intermittent condition, that after it goes away will result in a number of "clean" starts (I think it's 5?) and then goes out. A few days later it will come back and so on and so forth....

The code is a P0420 which the generic code reader defines as:

"Catalyst System Below Efficiency Bank 1"

Now what?
  2. LowcountrySuburban

LowcountrySuburban New Member

Could be a bad catalytic converter.
  3. Oscarvan

Oscarvan New Member

Could be.....but I'm looking for a more systematic approach.
  4. Oscarvan

Oscarvan New Member

OK, ended up with a subscription to Alldata....

Have to check the obvious but then it sounds indeed like the converter is toast.
  5. LowcountrySuburban

LowcountrySuburban New Member

6. Oscarvan

Oscarvan New Member

Not yet.... The truck runs just fine, I have until next inspection (December lol).

I think I will replace the O-2 sensors first..... (four of them). They get lazy anyways, and have 127 K on them.
    Then I suspect the Cat will have to be replaced. All in all about $600......:frown:

I have no plans on selling this truck anytime soon.....I've had it since new, it's a part of the family.
  7. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

One of the first things I did in the same situation (actually had a P0430, but the same idea) was to swap the two post cat sensors. If the code follows the sensor (meaning, if you start to get a P0430 instead of a P0420), then you have a good indication that the sensor/wiring is going bad. If the code remains the same, then it's probably not a problem with the sensors.
  8. Oscarvan

Oscarvan New Member

I like it! Thanks.