1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Help with differential cover

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by unplugged, May 18, 2007.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Well, I'm ready to upgrade the rear differential cover. I'd like to get one that has a drain plug to make gear oil changes easier. I'm leaning towards steel instead of aluminum, since I do get off road. I checked out the JC Whitney site and all they show is the basic chrome. Anybody use anything different?
    [​IMG]

2. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'm not a huge chrome fan but look up this little number seems to be interesting and tougher for what you need. Pretty is not always better...

TA Performance rear end girdle. It's stronger than the AAM cover that was part of my SLP Auburn upfit option and also provides supports for the main caps. It comes with allen head bolts, washers and a nice gasket that looks the same as the Chevy parts (GM 26016661). The one advantage the AMM cover had is that it has a cooling channel built in; oil flung from the ring gear enters it and exits on the carrier bearings.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

that's one bad-ass diff cover Cableguy! I'm just not sure that I want to spend $160US to buy the blasted thing. I guess that'll be at the bottom of my list of stuff to get :neutral:

4. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Ya it is kinda expensive isn't it. Didn't look to big to me (Although I can't see it from side profile). I was looking for something more indestructable for unplugged. In case he got hung up in rocks. It looks cool too

BTW I've had the chrome ones and there junk for off-roading.
    Chevy Truck Parts

5. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Chrome looks nice, but it doesn't seal well. If you go with the chrome, see if you can remove the chrome from the mating surface.

6. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Wow, those are very cool covers. But there is no way I can justify dropping $150 on a new cover. If I ever get around to building a high horsepower rig, these would be an option, but I guess I'll poke around for a deal on a steel cover with a drain plug and maybe a temp sender port.
    [​IMG]

7. X-Hibition

X-Hibition Rockstar 100 Posts

The Mag-Hytec worked well for me. O-ring seal has no leaks, extra capacity for more Mobil 1, dipstick to check fluid level, temp. sending port, and drain plug. I use one on the transmission also.

Looks great and keeps things cool, unlike chrome which retains heat.