1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help with drum brakes

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by ZSI52, Sep 13, 2009.

1. ZSI52

ZSI52 New Member

So my brother checked my drum brakes yesterday morning. Now they're making a grinding or scraping noise every time the wheel rotates. It sounds like a light grind when accelerating and then when I brake it does a combination of a light grind and a very loud grind. Any ideas? I've tried adjusting the passenger side drum. I think I maybe need to adjust it a little bit more. I haven't looked at the the driver side yet. This is the first time I've messed with drum brakes.
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

You need to take the drum off right away before you damage it!
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts

x2. Either something is not assembled properly, or you have some junk rolling around in there.
  4. ZSI52

ZSI52 New Member

That's what I was thinking.
  5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I had that happen with my S-10 one time, and it was a few pieces of rust that were sliding around the drum making a light grinding noise.
  6. ZSI52

ZSI52 New Member

I think I may have figured it out. It looks like the edge of the shoe is rubbing against the drum. It almost looks smashed. Ill try to get a pic afterwhile.
  7. ZSI52

ZSI52 New Member

I had my uncle look at them and he figured it out within seconds. Haha. the left side of the shoe wasn't in the correct position so it was rubbing against the drum.