Help With Front Shocks on 07 Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by HeavyChevy71, Nov 18, 2012.

Newest Photos

1. HeavyChevy71

HeavyChevy71 New Member

My Sub (2007 1500 LT no auto-ride) has 114k miles. While working under it, the rear shocks appeared to be badly rusted, so given the mileage, I went ahead and ordered Bilsteins for both the front and rear. The rear shock replacement was straight-forward. However, when I go to the front, it doesn't look as simple. The shocks are inside the springs; are these struts? Can the shock be replaced without using a spring compressor? If so, can someone point me to a DYI for it?

Thanks.
    HC71
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If you read the paper that comes with those shocks it will tell you you WILL need to compress the spring to remove the front shock.
  3. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Are the front shocks that much different than what I would have in my 2000 silverado? I lifted the front end up and put it on jack stands to take the pressure off the shocks. I had a friend use vice grips to keep the nut on the top from spinning. I got under the truck and loosened the 2 bolts and the shock slid out from inside the spring. I did not have to compress any springs and the shock came out.I pushed the new shock through the middle of the spring, my friend bolted the top and I started putting the bolts in the bottom.I will suggest brand new bolts (they are cheap) at the auto parts store cause the original bolts will fail or break easy.