1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help with my '04 2500HD front end issues

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Opiewho, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Opiewho

Opiewho Member

Need some help diagnosing some concerns relating to the front end of my truck. It is a 2004 Silverado 2500HD 2WD with 171,000 miles and I am a little stumped and thought someone else might help with a different point of view. Here are the concerns:
    1: Front end vibration. Feels like it is more from the right front and starts at 50mph, gets worse until 80mph when it goes away. Feels like a out of balance wheel, but isn’t.
    2: Metal on metal creaking type noise from both sides. I can duplicate the noise by driving forward then coming to a stop while turning the wheel (either direction), then backing up (such as backing into a parking spot), as soon as I start moving backwards it makes the noise.
    Both concerns have been occurring for awhile but I recently did some front end work to the truck and I figured I would've seen some change or improvement with one or the other but I haven’t. Work I did includes; balanced tires, new shocks, new pitman & idler arms, new steering stabilizer, new upper ball joints and a new intermediate steering shaft. While these all corrected other issues, the vibration and creaking noise both still occur. Any ideas or things to look for to help diagnose and repair these issues?
  2. Opiewho

Opiewho Member

No one? :sleep: Looked around again yesterday, looking for the noise source I've got no play in any of the bushings or wheel bearings. Nothing looks to be rubbing or contacting anything anywhere and I can't get the noise to occur when I want it to...very strange. Regarding the vibration I noticed it seems to go away if I shift the truck into neutral...the universal joints are new, driveshaft support bearing is new...is there a bearing on the output shaft of the transmission that could go bad and vibrate? And if so...would it feel like the vibration was from the front right of the truck? I'm stumped.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Have you looked at the engine and transmission mounts lately?
    Hows the rubber on them looking?
    Has is become delaminated and allowing any movement?
  4. zippstripp

zippstripp Member 1 Year

When you feel the vibration do actually feel it in the steering wheel itself? Or is it in the seat/whole cab area? I would maybe take another look at the tie rods or lower ball joints.
    When the universal joints and support bearing were done was every thing kept in phase as to original location? May have the drive shaft checked for balance at a driveline shop.
  5. Opiewho

Opiewho Member

Hadn't thought of that. Thanks I'll check those.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, felt in the steering wheel and the cab, seats, etc. Driveshaft was marked and returned to its original position...but I didn't have the balance checked before it was reinstalled.
  6. Opiewho

Opiewho Member

Got a chance to get under the truck again tonight, transmission mount was shot. Got it replaced in about an hour. Seems like the vibration may be gone. I'll make my final determination after a few more days of driving.

The noise however is still there...gonna check all the bolts for the front suspension later this week and see if maybe something is just a bit loose casing the noise.
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Hopefully thats the end of the vibration.
    Did ya look at the bushings for the wishbones?
    I think they have rubber or teflon bushings at the pivot points.
    Maybe you can recreate the noise and locate it better by using bottle jacks under the front suspension to take it up unevenly.
  8. Opiewho

Opiewho Member

OK I'm satisfied that the vibration is gone after replacing the tranny mount! :great: Next up is finding the noise. I'll be towing 8,000lbs of tractor tomorrow...we'll see if that makes the noise any different / worse!
  9. Opiewho

Opiewho Member

Noise solved, I figured based on the condition of the trans mount...no matter how good the motor mounts looked they were suspect. So I replaced them both, noise is gone!