1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help With My 1999 Chevy Siverado

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Georgia, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Georgia

Georgia New Member

HELP HELP Ok got a new ecm programed to my VIN number. Installed and still doing the same thing? Please any suggestions still stuck in Mexico.
    Could my stock anti theft have anything to do with this?
    getting tired of eating tacos!!!

OK here is what happened. Driving down hwy. engine completley shuts down and will not restart. Also have no life to my gauges. Towed home checked all fuses and relays all tested good. Pulled fuel pump works fine. Replaced but still has no power to it or the gauges. Engine turns over but will not start. I live in Mexico and they have no computer testers here where I live. What can I do that will not require me to have My truck hauled to the United States.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the Club! Sorry to hear you are having problems in which you needed a tow. I am not sure what the problem could be, but if you are looking get codes, you may want pick up a code reader from an auto-parts store. However, I do not have any recommendations, so hopefully someone be along soon who will be more helpful than I.

Good luck and I hope you get your problem fixed soon and with little $$.
  3. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Could this be a major ecu malfunction? If the computer went out it would kill your engine and gauges. The starter would still turn over because you have a direct cable to the starter but maybe your since your ecu is bad it won't transfer any fuel to the motor.
  4. Georgia

Georgia New Member

HELP HELP Ok got a new ecm programed to my VIN number. Installed and still doing the same thing? Please any suggestions still stuck in Mexico.
    Could my stock anti theft have anything to do with this?
    Getting tired of eating tacos!!!
  5. Looey

Looey Rockstar

You'll note that there are two + cables on the battery post. Follow the cable that goes across the top of the rad shroud. Closer to the battery there is either a junction block or fuse link. If the fuse has blown you won't get power for anything. The starter is on its own cable that's why the engine will still turn over.
  6. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Hey Georgia, welcome to the GM club. From your description of the engine dieing & the guages not working at the same time, I think you have a bad chassis/engine ground, chassis to body ground, or bad engine to body ground.
  7. indindentaica

indindentaica New Member

Good Topic

I looked through the whole topic, I'm going to digest the information:)