GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Help with overhead DVD installation in Suburban w/ overhead rear a/c controls.

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by jt35, Dec 12, 2011.

1. jt35

jt35 New Member

A friend gave me his old overhead DVD player that he had used in his Suburban. His Suburban had the rear a/c controls on the back of the center console, but mine has the a/c controls on the back of the dome light. My children are small enough that they're not controlling the a/c on their own, so I was thinking about just putting the DVD player up and capping the wires to the a/c controls for now. I'm not electrically inclined, though. So, I am just hoping to get opinions about whether this would work or if there would be any potential problems I should be aware of.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

Was his system a factory system? As far as I can remember some years had a differant roof patteren so it might not fit right, As for just unpluging the Factory Ac controls it might send a bad singal to the computer. Just not sure.. what year was his Sub and your truck?

Got pics?
  3. jt35

jt35 New Member

Mine is a 2001. His was same body style, but I don't know what year exactly. Sorry, I don't have pics. The box with the dome light & a/c controls is roughly the same size as the DVD player so I wasn't really worried about whether it would fit (maybe I should be?). When I get home tonight, I may take some pics (unless I just jump right in and see what happens). I was thinking I would still be able to control the rear a/c from the front overhead console without any trouble.

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

And to answer your other question, no it was not a factory system. I can't remember the brand of the DVD player right now though.
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

There are a few Co's that make shrouds for the GM AC Control's in the back. and come with 7-9in screens..