1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help with overhead DVD installation in Suburban w/ overhead rear a/c controls.

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by jt35, Dec 12, 2011.

1. jt35

jt35 New Member

A friend gave me his old overhead DVD player that he had used in his Suburban. His Suburban had the rear a/c controls on the back of the center console, but mine has the a/c controls on the back of the dome light. My children are small enough that they're not controlling the a/c on their own, so I was thinking about just putting the DVD player up and capping the wires to the a/c controls for now. I'm not electrically inclined, though. So, I am just hoping to get opinions about whether this would work or if there would be any potential problems I should be aware of.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Was his system a factory system? As far as I can remember some years had a differant roof patteren so it might not fit right, As for just unpluging the Factory Ac controls it might send a bad singal to the computer. Just not sure.. what year was his Sub and your truck?

Got pics?
  3. jt35

jt35 New Member

Mine is a 2001. His was same body style, but I don't know what year exactly. Sorry, I don't have pics. The box with the dome light & a/c controls is roughly the same size as the DVD player so I wasn't really worried about whether it would fit (maybe I should be?). When I get home tonight, I may take some pics (unless I just jump right in and see what happens). I was thinking I would still be able to control the rear a/c from the front overhead console without any trouble.

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

And to answer your other question, no it was not a factory system. I can't remember the brand of the DVD player right now though.
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

There are a few Co's that make shrouds for the GM AC Control's in the back. and come with 7-9in screens..