HELP With Painting MY Exhaust Tips Black!!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Rockstarrchevy81, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Rockstarrchevy81

Rockstarrchevy81 Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

ok man well i got the black tip's painted did i go wrong when i just used 60 grit sand paper and didn't use any other that is a higher grit to make it better, and also i did use primer and put 3 coats of the high heat paint this evening i tried to see if it was dry i lil while ago and it would come off from scraping it... is it not gonna hold the paint because all i used was 60 grit to get the chrome finish off or do i need to redo it all and use a 60 grit and a few other higher grit's to even it out. Although i used primer to help it still seemed to easy to come off, also i will check in the morning idk how long it will take for it to dry and i'm gonna buy some glossy paint tom. also anybody know where i went wrong or if i didn't how long will it take to dry answers are needed!

2. HawaiiKid

HawaiiKid Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Did you use the chrome etching primer?

3. Rockstarrchevy81

No man what does that do?

4. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Is the primer a high heat primer? I did not use primer on mine and I panted my entire exhaust, not just my tips. Try header paint, it is rated for much higher heat than your tips will ever see, but you need to make sure you follow the cure process. You have to let the truck run idle a few times for several minutes...directions are on the can. Mine has held up great with no primer, just scuffed the chrome with some sandpaper (I think it was around 220 grit, cant remember for sure).
    Here is what I used: http://www.shop.speedunlimited.com/...eproof-flat-black-high-heat-header-paint.aspx

5. Rockstarrchevy81

yea man i used 60 grit i got all the chrome off and the paint it high heat but the primer i don't think it is.. is this a problem if it is not sticking good by in the morning i'm gonna just strip it down and try to sand down allot more without the primer since it's not high heat or buy some that is maybe and i'm gonna buy me some glossy black paint also.

6. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

How did it turn out this morning?? I think the header paint would be the best way to go.

7. jbjones240

jbjones240 Rockstar 100 Posts

I look forward to seeing the results. x3 on header paint, I think that will be the key for you.

-JJ

8. Rockstarrchevy81

yea i used a 2,000 degree resistant paint and it's for the motor parts to be painted it's the same as header paint i did this today other can was 1,200 so a good bit better. Also i used meridic acid that i dipped the tips in iit's something you will need gloves and mask but after just 2 min. all the chrome is stripped and it's ready to paint and a gallon only cost me 6 bucks ha. I have them painted i'll check them in the morning.

9. Rockstarrchevy81

I planned to let them sit today to make sure they get completly dry but i live a mile or 2 from the exhaust place so i will drive it from there to my house and then let it run and cure itself that way.

10. Rockstarrchevy81

it rained yesterday so i couldn't finish painting i did a coat of gloss black paint 500 degree heat resistant and also same as what i'm gonna do with the lettering to make it match the truck more.. still waiting on my sticker's to arrive and put them on tom. hopefully. I will finish painting tom. and have them put on along with the stickers and will post pic's thanks!!!