1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help with plug in ...... block heater

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by onelove, Dec 15, 2008.

1. onelove

onelove New Member

So, it just got really cold here & I took my plug out for the first time to plug it in & it's tripping the breaker. I tried in multiple outlets & it trips every time. It has never been used so I don't know what's going on.

Is it a short? Any advice would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Erica
  2. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts

FYI for our southern friends... I believe Erica is talking about the block heater's wall outlet plug.

Erica- All I can suggest if that you have a good look at the wiring you can see and make sure there are no frays, missing or cracked insulation. It sounds as though you've got a short and the easiest thing I can suggest is that you check to make sure you don't have bare wire touching bare metal, two bare wires rubbing each other, etc etc.
  3. onelove

onelove New Member

Yeah, I didn't know what to call it.:redface:

Hmmm, ok.....tomorrow I will check & maybe take it to the GM dealership. Do you know if something like this would be covered on a bumper to bumper warranty?

Thanks!
  4. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts

Good question and I have no idea! I can't imagine why it wouldn't be. If it's not covered, then you are looking at a very minimal expense, really. I guess it all depends on whether the problem is with the heater itself or the wires leading to it. It's conceivable that you've been having a wire rubbing on a metal edge or sharp edge somewhere. Or.... mouse attack!

I'd say it's more than likely that whatever the problem is it will be covered on a bumper to bumper.

Remember I'm no expert.. and there could be someone to come on that might offer a lot more help then I.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!
  5. bassalive

bassalive New Member

I assume ur using an extension cord so first make sure it isn't the problem(freys, cracks,barewires etc.) Then trace the block heater cable to the motor looking for the same things including cleaning the actual plug so the prongs are shiny. as for your warranty it should be covered
  6. onelove

onelove New Member

^Oh! I didn't think to check the extension cord. Willl do in the morning! Thanks guys!:happy:
  7. ct9a

ct9a New Member 1000 Posts

If all else fails, make sure that everything else on the circuit you're using is turned off or unplugged. The circuits could be overloaded.
  8. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Hopefully it's something simple. I plug mine in every night. Something else that helps in cold weather is turning on your high idle. I see yours is an LT so I'm hoping you have the redundant radio controls on your steering wheel and can access your DIC (Driver's Information Center) as well. When I push the button "i" it says "VEHICLE SETTINGS" and you can keep hitting the button to scroll through options until it says "ENGINE HIGH IDLE-OFF" and then hit the <- return button below to change it to "ON" . What that does is increases the idle to around 1000rpm's when it's cold at start-up.
  9. onelove

onelove New Member

I already use the high idle & it does work great but the other morning when I started it, it whined so bad & didn't sound right. It's really cold here.
  10. onelove

onelove New Member

I'm confused. I tried this morning again with that extension cord & it tripped. Then, I tried a different cord & it didn't trip. THEN, I tried plugging something else in with the original cord & it worked fine.

So, that cord doesn't like my truck or something but I'm just happy my truck is good to go!

Thanks for everyone's help!:glasses: