1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help with plug wires.. I dun f'd it.

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Falcone, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Falcone

Falcone Rockstar 100 Posts

So I goto change my spark plugs on my 1992 sonoma 2.8 rwd and when I goto get one of the plug wires off its stuck on real good. This happened the last time I went to change my plugs/tuneup as well and low and behold, same thing as last time. The terminal ripped right out of the boot and staying firmly attached to the plug. So I shove the sob back on head over to partsource. They give me two options, the "stock" Bosch wires. Which I got last year when it happened the first time, and now causing me this pita. So I say I want the accels cause if they cost more, the MUST be better right? [​IMG]

Anyways onto the point. I grabbed the ACCEL 8.8MM kit. The wires come with the plug terminal on already, but the box comes with two sets of distributor cap boots/terminals. One set is brass like in colour, the other is pewterish, much shorter and called H.E.I I belive.

Which one do I need to use? Again my trucks a 92 2.8 rwd Sonoma.

Thanks for the help, I can hopfully figure this out tomorrow in the light as this all started right before it got dark. But You guys are well versed in these trucks so I'm sure somone can shed some light
  2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

HEI is High Energy Ignition, so if you truck has an electric coil then you would go with that, otherwise the standard brass. If I am wrong someone correct me.
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Help with plug wires.. I dun fd it

vncj96 is right.
  4. Falcone

may just be due to the sub 5 hours of sleep I've been getting all week with this new job, but how will I be able to tell if I have a electric coil? I belive its just a normal dis. cap with the six wires running around the outside and the one from the middle.
  5. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

HEI on the left.....................................................................................Standard on the right
    [​IMG],,,,,,,,,,,,, [​IMG]

These crimpers are indispensable when creating custom plug wires

[​IMG]
  6. Falcone

so how do I tell which one I need to use?
  7. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts