Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

help with starter issue

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by hdwrench, Feb 12, 2013.

1. hdwrench

hdwrench New Member

hello , my first post and needing help . my truck is a 2001 duramax with auto trans . we broke down recently and had to tow to home . truck was cruiseing fine when a noise apperarred under the passenger side engine area . with in a mile or two truck lost all power , engine and electricial . ign fuse popped in under hood fuse area . replaced with spare ,all electricial power restored but engine would not crank . we towed at this point . got truck home diagnosed the starter getting power but not working . replaced starter now truck starts great but while idleing and un disturbed the starter engages randomly . installed new ign switch thinking faulty but same issue . any help would be greatly appreciated !!
  2. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Sounds like something engaged the old starter while running. The starter circuit is pretty straight forward, ignition switch-bcm/ecm-relay-solenoid-starter. I would take the relay out and open it up to inspect the contacts, then test the ignition switch to computer wires
  3. hdwrench

hdwrench New Member

update

update , well i put an interupter switch in the tickle wire between the relay and starter so i can run truck with relay installed . new development as of today when i started it . now the starter engages as soon as ign switch is to on position and so far stays engaged . also the shift selector does not work for a minute or so and acts lazy or sporadic when selecting gears .other items also not working , the tow haul switch has no function .

a note to shibby i have changed the relays and all function the same .

we wondered if the nuetral safety switch could be all or part cause . will have a look sunday before it starts snowing here again in western new york .
  4. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Pull the shrouds off of the steering column, you have a gremlin somewhere in there with all of those centralized probs.
  5. hdwrench

hdwrench New Member

progress report

pulled the covers off and didn't see any problems . at that time it looked like it would be a good idea to look at selector , neutral switch . changed that out and starting problem is gone . only issues i have left is the tow haul button does not work at all . also fuse pops on door lock system as soon as it is inserted in block with or without relays in .
  6. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

12volts is always on the door locks / always...........when the command to operate the locks is made the return[ground ] is then connected to the car body ground. this then causes the open/lock operation.

what you have is a short in the supply side of this circuit good luck since this goes to many locations.

I find you electrical issues not the norm. my guess is some one hacked up the vehicle wiring/stolen hack / or alarm remote start install etc........