Help with Tire Choice - Cooper or Michelin

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by IWannaGoFishin, Jan 19, 2013.

1. IWannaGoFishin

IWannaGoFishin New Member

Hello Suburbanites,

I'm needing to replace the tires on my 04 C1500 Suburban. Size 265/70R17. 2wd. Mostly in town driving. Very little off road. Occasionally pull a pop-up camper, but have plans for a larger camper within 2 years.

I've narrowed my choices to two tires. Please let me know if you have any advice:

Cooper Discoverer HT - LT 265/70R-17/E1 121R. Light truck tire. E Rated. Total price out the door. $808.

Michelin LTX MS2 - P265/70R17 113T. Passenger tire, but plenty of load rating for my use. Total price $1051.

I know that the Michelin is a great tire, but I'm not sure I can make myself pay $1051 for a set of tires. I'd love to hear some great stories about the Cooper, but mainly I want honest opinions.

Thanks.

2. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I have Michelin tires though for reasons of offroad traction I have the LTX AT2 rather then the LTX MS2, in the summer, and the LTX Winter in the winter.

You are correct that you do not need Load Range E tires. They are heavier which will make the ride worse because that increases the unsprung weight.

I believe that the Michelin tire is a better tire than the Cooper, with improvements in treadwear and traction. Michelin consistently rates higher on independent tests, from Consumer Reports, Car & Driver, and other sources who claim they are making objective measurements.

With tires, like brakes, when you need them you need them. Some kid runs in front of your truck and a 10' difference in stopping distance maybe makes the difference between a head-shaking story over supper, and all afternoon filling out forms plus two weeks of recurring nightmares. I spent the money.

3. IWannaGoFishin

Thanks Jamm3r. That AT2 is a good looking tire. Does it make very much road noise? And how are it's street manners?

4. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

had Michelins a few years back....overpriced??? maybe, but they were the
    best road/touring tires I have ever bought out of about
    7 or 8 sets over the years.....Brian from Canada

5. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 2 Years 100 Posts

It's hard for me to tell. It's certainly an improvement on noise and manners over the Toyo Open Country tires it replaced but I think much of that was size (the Toyos were oversized while I have stock sized Michelins) and age (older tires being usually louder). The AT2 has poor winter traction but that's not what I run them for.

6. IWannaGoFishin

Well, I bought the.Michelins. actually bought the Radial X LT2. Bought them at Costco. They look good and the truck drives great.