1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help with valve adjustment on 1996 Suburban

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by treeman407, Apr 24, 2012.

1. treeman407

treeman407 New Member

hello names bill i have a 1996 gmc suburban 4x4. i blew a head gasket both heads were cracked. ive bought new heads got it running but cant seem to get the valves set right. everytime i get them right and it runs great. i turn it off and start it agin their messed up agin. ive done this like 5 times. can someone help me fix this problem????
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2012
  2. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site, it's good to have you here. Your best bet is to go to the main forum page and scroll down to the Chevy Tech Q&A and post the issue there. You'll likely get a lot more views and more expedient answers.
  3. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog New Member Platinum Contributor

:sign0016: Welcome to the club and enjoy the site........
  4. donyms

donyms Active Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club Bill, good to have you with us. :glasses:
  5. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome the the Club!!

** Moved thread **
  6. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts

Bring the number one cylinder to TDC. You'll know by the timing mark being on or near zero and the number 1 piston being up in the firing position. To verify that the number 1 cylinder is up, pop the distributor cap and check that the rotor is pointing to the number 1 plug wire. Some people put a screwdriver into the number 1 cylinder spark plug hole to feel that the piston is all the way at the top. DO NOT turn the engine with the screwdriver in the spark plug hole!

Once you have #1 at TDC, Loosen the rocker arm stud on both valves and then tighten either one of them up while slowly turning the pushrod with your fingertips. When the pushrod stops and you can no longer turn it with your fingers, tighten the nut down an additional 1/4 to 1/3 turn. Then adjust the other valve on the number one cylinder in the same way. At this point and without turning the motor, adjust the exhaust valves on cylinders 1,3,4, and 8 and the intake valves on 1,2,5, and 7. Rotate the engine one full turn or 180 degrees until the timing mark is on 0 again. This puts the number 6 piston at TDC. Now, adjust the exhaust valves on cylinders 2,5,6, and 7 and intake valves on cylinders 3,4,6,and 8.

And THAT... is IT! Put your valve covers back on, make sure everything is hooked up and you're done!
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  7. treeman407

treeman407 New Member

oh cool thanks.:great:
  8. treeman407

treeman407 New Member

ok i got the valves set right and now it has a real bad hesatation at idle. and wants to shut off on me. can anyone give an idea as to why?
  9. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts

If it is an idle only issue, make sure that the IAC valve is plugged in and operating. If it is not working the truck will either not idle correctly or will stall out.
  10. osgprometheus

osgprometheus New Member

He pretty much said everything I would. Sounds right to me.