1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help with wiring tail light for the hitch

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by chevyman956, Oct 14, 2012.

1. chevyman956

chevyman956 New Member

Hello everyone,
    I bought a brake/tail light to insert where the a hitch would go into (as seen in picture).
    CR-007_2_1000.jpg
    I have installed the light, but don't like the fact that it blinks when I apply my right turn signal. Is there anyway I can re-wire this brake/tail light to where it would just light up when I apply my breaks and not any of my turn signals?

I have a 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500.

Thank you for your time,

Ray :)
  2. 87silver

87silver New Member

You would need to place diodes (from Radio Shack types 1N4001 and 1N4004 or eq) on each conductor feeding the light itself, but after the diodes, the 2 feeds need to be connected together. This way, when either tail light is steady on (the opposite would be blinking), the diode would prevent a backfeed into the other tail light of the truck.

Attached Files:

3. chevyman956

chevyman956 New Member

Thank you 87silver. I will try that. :)
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

Silver, your suggestion requires that the light is connected to both the left and the right side lights. His plug is only 2 wire, using ground and the right side brake/turn.

I think the most reliable way is to connect to the brake wiring before the flasher module, or at the centre brake light.
  5. 87silver

87silver New Member

Connection before the flasher is surely effective, as it will receive a steady state signal from the stop light switch, but if you want to avoid dealing with factory wiring, the diodes keep it confined to the accessory.

If this particular light accessory only has a feed from the right stop/turn signal (green wire) and ground (white wire), then a real trailer connector would be required in place of the 2 wire connector to introduce the left stop/turn signal (yellow wire). The parking light feed (brown wire) should be capped off, as it would be unused.

Basically, the final config circuitry would utilize the green wire with an inline diode, the yellow wire with an inline diode, the green wire & yellow wire connected together AFTER the diodes and the white wire.

Attached Files: