1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Help!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Sir Koscoe, Feb 19, 2013.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Sir Koscoe

Sir Koscoe Member

Tonight my heater smells like antifreeze and now it blows out a white mist. The mist smells and leaves a film on the windows that will not come off easily. It will not defrost the window so now I can't see anything. This is unsafe to drive and our van is broken right now so it can not be driven. I need help please!!!!!!!!!!

2. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

Sounds like you have a leaking heater core.

What year is your Silverado?

3. Sir Koscoe

Sir Koscoe Member

it's a 99. after Googling for hours last night and talking to a few people today, it does sound like the heater core crapped itself. Where is it located? Under the dash?

- - - Updated - - -

Is $350-$450 a good price on having the core changed out by my local machanic?

4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yes.......the Heater Core is located under the dash, here's a Video, on removed the old Heater Core, and installing a New One,

5. Sir Koscoe

Sir Koscoe Member

I watched that already. I'm just going to have it done. Going to bypass the core so I can run the truck without it leaking.

6. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Sorry, you didn't mentioned that you had Viewed that Video.....:)

7. Sir Koscoe

Sir Koscoe Member

I ddin't watch it until this morning at work. It appears to labor intensive for me to attempt. I hate spending that kind of money on labor since the part is only $61. I would rather it be done right then me screw something up in the process.

8. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

with the dash to be removed to do this I would say 400.oo is a good price. bypass the heater core by connecting the 2 hoses together. they have fittings at the auto part stores for this.

what type coolant do you use ? dexcool gm approved or compatibles coolant ?

9. trentkoger

trentkoger New Member

Sounds like you need to make friends with a good mechanic that always helps out on the price lol.

10. Sir Koscoe

Sir Koscoe Member

The truck has dex in it now, but I always have the dex flushed and replaced by green.

If you are looking at the engine, the coolant line on the left going into the firewall can be disconnected and re-connected back into the block by disconnecting the line on the right from the block, correct?