1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Sir Koscoe, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Only warning with Dex-cool is it has a very powerful smell that can make you a little sick when working with it for a couple hours.... But other that that its great and considered the best of all stock anti-freezes and if you have a leak its easy to see bright orange.
  2. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I'm wondering if the NNBS Silverados and Sierras heater core are THAT much of a PITA to replace?
  3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Well there is more plastic and the dash is larger so idk, but more components would be snap fit no bolts.
  4. Sir Koscoe

Sir Koscoe Member

Core has been bypassed and truck will be in the shop on Monday to replace the core. Dexcool gunks up over time whereas the green does not. My Grand Prix had Dex and I had it flushed and it was nothing but gunk. Our van also has green.
  5. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I have been using dexcool with distilled water since 1996 with no issues. changed coolant this summer on both my vehicles one being a 1996 with no coolant issues. dexcool works great . I do use dexcool GM approved coolant not a compatible type. with only distilled water .

mixing of coolant types and using contaminated water like tap water and well water loaded with minerals and strong chemical sanitizers do cause big problems.

if you can pull a gray color off the metal of the coolant system you have corrosion issues.