1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help!

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by ballz, Sep 3, 2012.

1. ballz

ballz New Member

Hello, Wifes 07 suburban (5.3 AFM ) started making an engine noise ( knocking sound) while on vacation. Pulled in to mechanic since there was no Chevy dealers around. He stated immediately that is a lifter and cam problem. He also asked if it has been using oil and I said I have noticed it uses about 2qts every 3000 miles between changes. He stated that is bad. After I got back I researched it and it seems to be a common problem for 07's. The burb has 101200 miles on it ( my bad luck just out of warranty). My question is should I have a cam and lifters installed for around $2000 or should I get a newer junk yard engine for a little more with low miles and put it in. I am concerned about all the oil it used over the years carboning up the piston and rings. I know it can be decarbed but there might already be wall scarring. Can a non afm cam and lifters be put in and then deactivate the afm? Any advise on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012