Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Barnettamb, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Barnettamb

Barnettamb Member

My friend has a 1984 silverado and the battery is fully charged and when u turn the key it wont even make a noise. we tried to jump it off but it didnt work. any ideas of what we could do to fix it.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would start by using a test light to see if you are getting power to the starter and checking the connections at the starter. I have seen the nut come off the stud that hold the power wire, and the nut that holds the solenoid wire. If these became loose or disconnected, then it will not crank. If you are getting power to the starter then pull it off and have an autoparts store test it, they do it free.
  3. Barnettamb

Barnettamb Member

thankyou i was looking for the starter but i dont no what it looks like is it at the top right of the engine compartment?
  4. csltrains96

csltrains96 Rockstar 100 Posts

Your post didn't include whether the truck was automatic or stick, but if none of Pikey's suggestions above turn out to be the problem, check for issues with a neutral safety switch or relay, or the switch on the clutch pedal that prevents starting if the pedal isn't pressed all the way down. Also the wiring for these circuits. I once had a minivan that wouldn't start like you described because the neutral safety switch connector on the transmission had backed out just enough to lose contact.

Good luck!
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You did not mention what motor it is. No, the starter is not on the top right. It should be located on the passenger side of the motor on near the bottom, just above the oil pan.
  6. Barnettamb

Barnettamb Member

alright its an automatic with the 5.o liter im going to try to find it today i think i ight have seen it last night over the oil pan.