1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Helper springs help?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Darknesss23, Mar 25, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Darknesss23

Darknesss23 New Member 100 Posts

Haven't posted in here in almost 3 years! I'm back! Anyways, I'm looking to relocate across the country and may be using my 08 silverado to help move some items. I was thinking of getting some helper springs to help with a heavy load. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good brand? I saw some generic ones at Autozone for about $50.. would increase load capacity by 1000 pounds.. help?
  2. geo1

geo1 New Member 100 Posts

air bags,there when you need em,deflate for normal ride,firestone has a nice setup
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Roadmaster Active Suspension: http://www.activesuspension.com/

I have them on my truck and love them. I don't use them for the overload capacity but, instead, to reduce body roll. Here's a review (and a discount for GMTC members :) I did about a month after the installation: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/99450-Roadmaster-Active-Suspension-Review

These don't have any of the hassles of air bags (holes, wiring, need to inflate/deflate, etc.) ... and also have no negative repercussions on an unloaded vehicle. Install, tension, and go.
  4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

x2.....For Air Bags, as they will Help and/or Improve the following,
    .....Eliminates Squat and Improves Steering, Braking and Tire Wear,
    Increase Handling and Ride Quality.....Air Bags also absorbs Road Bumps and last will Help with Sway & Body Roll.

I've had Air Bags Installed on my Silverado, for going on 12/13 Years, and not 1 Issue/Problem with the Bags or anything else with this Setup......along with the Air Bags, I also have a Compressor and Gauge-n-Controls, in the Cab......Which is a Great Feature, as it allows me to Adjust(Up or Down)the Bags for the Change in either the Load and/or Road Conditions......your Silverado being a 1/2 Ton, the air bags working your existing leaf spring suspension would provide up to 2,000 lbs. of load-leveling capacity.

It really comes down to how Much Weight and
    How often your going to be Loading in the Bed and/or Towing with your Silverado and last what you are Looking and/or Wanting to Spend???.....

Air Lift:
    http://www.airliftcompany.com/products

5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I used to be a fan of air bags had them on most of my previous trucks after using the Roadmaster Active Suspension on my 2011 for the last 6 months Im a convert. I second Surreals recomendation.
    much like airbags its there when you need it and doesnt affect handling when you dont. They also have the added affect of acting like a sway bar all the time to control body roll on curves.
  6. Darknesss23

I'm not familiar with air bag set ups.. is there a compressor/tank needed for this kind of set up? I was looking for something simple as I don't tow often but on occasion i will load the truck up with heavy landscaping bits (paver stones) if i'm doing a project or furniture if helping a friend move... the basic "universal" helper springs i saw at Autozone where about $50 and only increased load capacity by 1000 pounds. I have to look into if this is for a light duty (s10/canyon type) truck or if it works with a 1500 but something comparable to that or just a little better. wasn't looking on spending more than $100-150 because as I said I don't haul THAT much but if I do it's a good amount.
  7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

My experience with add a leafs or helper springs is that it makes there rear of the truck ride like crap when unloaded.
  8. Darknesss23

Hey, Everyone! First off, I would like to thank everyone who has given input! I'm definitely going to look into the roadmaster active suspension set up and airbags. Secondly, After doing a little digging. I remembered a product that was once promoted on here and even given away as a contest prize on this forum a couple of years ago... Sulastic Rubber Springs www.sulastic.com I was just wondering if anyone else remembers these, won these in a contest, and has any feedback (positive or negative) on these.. all this suspension talk got me thinking about it and I was just curious.
  9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

That's not been my experience with RAS. I'm only set at 10%, though. If I had tension at 40% I'd absolutely expect a rougher ride.
  10. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I was specifically talking about "add a leafs"