Helper springs help?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Darknesss23, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Darknesss23

Darknesss23 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Haven't posted in here in almost 3 years! I'm back! Anyways, I'm looking to relocate across the country and may be using my 08 silverado to help move some items. I was thinking of getting some helper springs to help with a heavy load. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good brand? I saw some generic ones at Autozone for about $50.. would increase load capacity by 1000 pounds.. help?

2. geo1

geo1 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

air bags,there when you need em,deflate for normal ride,firestone has a nice setup

3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Roadmaster Active Suspension: http://www.activesuspension.com/

I have them on my truck and love them. I don't use them for the overload capacity but, instead, to reduce body roll. Here's a review (and a discount for GMTC members :) I did about a month after the installation: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/99450-Roadmaster-Active-Suspension-Review

These don't have any of the hassles of air bags (holes, wiring, need to inflate/deflate, etc.) ... and also have no negative repercussions on an unloaded vehicle. Install, tension, and go.

4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

x2.....For Air Bags, as they will Help and/or Improve the following,
    .....Eliminates Squat and Improves Steering, Braking and Tire Wear,
    Increase Handling and Ride Quality.....Air Bags also absorbs Road Bumps and last will Help with Sway & Body Roll.

I've had Air Bags Installed on my Silverado, for going on 12/13 Years, and not 1 Issue/Problem with the Bags or anything else with this Setup......along with the Air Bags, I also have a Compressor and Gauge-n-Controls, in the Cab......Which is a Great Feature, as it allows me to Adjust(Up or Down)the Bags for the Change in either the Load and/or Road Conditions......your Silverado being a 1/2 Ton, the air bags working your existing leaf spring suspension would provide up to 2,000 lbs. of load-leveling capacity.

It really comes down to how Much Weight and
    How often your going to be Loading in the Bed and/or Towing with your Silverado and last what you are Looking and/or Wanting to Spend???.....

Air Lift:
    http://www.airliftcompany.com/products

5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I used to be a fan of air bags had them on most of my previous trucks after using the Roadmaster Active Suspension on my 2011 for the last 6 months Im a convert. I second Surreals recomendation.
    much like airbags its there when you need it and doesnt affect handling when you dont. They also have the added affect of acting like a sway bar all the time to control body roll on curves.

6. Darknesss23

I'm not familiar with air bag set ups.. is there a compressor/tank needed for this kind of set up? I was looking for something simple as I don't tow often but on occasion i will load the truck up with heavy landscaping bits (paver stones) if i'm doing a project or furniture if helping a friend move... the basic "universal" helper springs i saw at Autozone where about $50 and only increased load capacity by 1000 pounds. I have to look into if this is for a light duty (s10/canyon type) truck or if it works with a 1500 but something comparable to that or just a little better. wasn't looking on spending more than $100-150 because as I said I don't haul THAT much but if I do it's a good amount.

7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My experience with add a leafs or helper springs is that it makes there rear of the truck ride like crap when unloaded.

8. Darknesss23

Hey, Everyone! First off, I would like to thank everyone who has given input! I'm definitely going to look into the roadmaster active suspension set up and airbags. Secondly, After doing a little digging. I remembered a product that was once promoted on here and even given away as a contest prize on this forum a couple of years ago... Sulastic Rubber Springs www.sulastic.com I was just wondering if anyone else remembers these, won these in a contest, and has any feedback (positive or negative) on these.. all this suspension talk got me thinking about it and I was just curious.

9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That's not been my experience with RAS. I'm only set at 10%, though. If I had tension at 40% I'd absolutely expect a rougher ride.

10. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I was specifically talking about "add a leafs"