1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Helper springs vs air bag 2007 Silverado

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by mx721suzuki, Jan 16, 2011.

1. mx721suzuki

mx721suzuki New Member

I have a 2007 nnbs 1/2 ton that I installed a rough country 3"lift. I tow a 26 foot toyhauler. Before the lift the truck would sit level with the trailer hooked up. Now with the front end higher it squats in the back. I was looking at helwigs progressive spring kits either this one http://www.hellwigproducts.com/products/load-control/ez-990/ or this one http://www.hellwigproducts.com/products/load-control/pro-series/ . I also noticed they have bolt in air bag kits. Anyone have any pro and cons on either? Thanks in advance.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The air bags are definitely nicer. They will ride better when empty, and you can adjust them for the load you are carrying.

The down side of bags is that they are more expensive. The onboard compressor kit is not essential, which can save a bunch of money. Just put the fill valve somewhere convenient, many guys put them under the gas fill door.

3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

:sign0016:To the Site.......I have a Boat..... and had the same Concerns you have with the rear Squatting down went I hooked-up the Boat.......I went with Air Lift Rear Air Bags......I also have there Compressor and the Gauge and Controls in the cab.....

I really like how well the Truck Now handle's with the Air Bags....I No longer have the Squatting.....the truck handles So Much better Now......The other feature I like about the Air Bags is that I can Adjust the Air bags for the load I'm Hauling/Towing and for the Change in road Condition's while Driving.......Bottom line for me adding the Bags has been one of the Best Mods/Upgrades I have done for Towing.

4. jgmanchester

jgmanchester New Member

I have the Superspring progressive helpers on my 01 1/2 ton. Totally dissapointed with there performance. I often haul a loaded cargo trailer with materials in the bed. Truck seems to sag just as much as it did without them. I am considering just installing 3/4 ton leafs

5. MikeyBuck

MikeyBuck New Member

I have a 1/2 Chevy, I went and added airbags to the rear. for towing, and hauling heavy loads, they are nice! It don't take but a little PSI to keep the truck level with a few extra hundred pounds in the bed.

6. HawaiiKid

HawaiiKid Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

If you have the cash you should go for the airbags, I've heard nothing but good things about helper bags. The helper/overload springs make the ride harsher when you are not fully loaded, and you loose the adjustability functions. Take this with a grain of salt since I didn't have either, but I read a lot about both.

7. dannyhash32

dannyhash32 New Member

hey did you ever pick one for your of silverado? i have the same lift on my 09 and was considering the same stuff. if you could please let me know what you went with and how you like it. thanks

8. JRD761

JRD761 Rockstar 100 Posts

My dad put leaf helper springs on one of his trucks, and I've got air bags on mine. Air bags definitely work a lot better.. the leaf helper springs make the truck ride a lot rougher when you don't have any weight on it, where you don't even notice the air bags once you let the air out of them.. and it seems to me like the air bags do a lot more "work" (for a lack of better words)..

9. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

i say go with the bags. I have the firestone bags (4ply instead of airlifts 2 ply) and they are great. run at 10psi unloaded (minimum is 5) and are quick and easy to add air when needed. I havent upgraded to the onboard aircompressor yet but its on the wish list. I have the airfittings sticking through where the uppers screws go on the rear license plate.