1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

helper springs?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by skivhere, Jan 30, 2009.

1. skivhere

skivhere New Member

97 K1500 suburban, 112000 miles. The rear end is sagging a bit and I was thinking about putting on some helper springs to help it out. I was in Pep Boys earlier and saw some that would add 2000# capacity to the back end (not too shabby) for around $50.

I have spent the last 1/2 hour or so online checking some out and can't seem to find them below $160...and that's on E-Bay.

Has anyone ever used the PB springs. The biggest I tow (currently) is a 7 X 12 trailer with maybe a few bikes on it. Or some furniture.
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Rear helper springs will help with the rear sag but they'll make the back end stiffer and the ride a little rougher.
    I used the Pep Boys helper springs as a quick fix once, they worked as advertised.
    Probably the best method to lift the rear a little would be to save more money and buy air bag helpers, they preserve the ride and offer lift.
  3. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

X2 on the air bags, firestone makes them and i think they are around 250 bucks and work very well
  4. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member 1000 Posts

I have used helper springs on a 1995 F150. They work good but I had a problem with the u bolts comming loose a lot. I don't remember what brand they were but they weren't that expensive and they helped with heavier loads.
  5. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero New Member

I have a 96 Suburban k1500 and had a similar issue and got a set of these
    The Monroe Sensa-Trac load adjusting shock absorber Part Number: 58612
    [​IMG]

I carry extra weight due to the truck vault and the occasional towing so these worked out great, and as a side benefit it raised the rear a good 2-3 inches LOL
    You can read the whole thing here (http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18194)

The cost is about $100 (sold as a pair) and you get the coil over helpers and a new pair of shocks all rolled into one package. It doesnt bounce like the straight helpers do when you like set down on the them from like dip you can feel it though as they stiffen but not bottom.
    http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/Pr...e=MON&MfrPartNumber=58612&PartType=50&PTSet=A

Another option is you can take the springs to a suspension shop and they can re arch the old springs or maybe an add a leaf kit.

If it was me I would try the coil over shocks since they are pretty cheap and a easy install.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  6. mjalstad

mjalstad New Member

I think Rancho sells an add-a-leaf for like ninety bucks. It will increase load and lift your rear up about 1.5-2 inches
  7. ChevyFarmKid

ChevyFarmKid New Member

I think that springs are going to be your easiest way to get the back end back up.