1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Here is a good use for junk mail ... make a CEL tester

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by moogvo, Sep 6, 2012.

1. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts

I keep getting these ads for car dealers in the mail, telling me I might have won a car, a billion dollars, etc. On the card, there is a plastic headed aluminum key that resembles a car key. I decided that I could make a key to read my pre-obd codes... I know - All you need is a paper clip, but 2 minutes with a dremel tool and I have my own ultra-cool code reader key.

Years ago, Auto Zone made a key similar to this that they gave away for free with a book of GM codes. It didn't look nearly as "finished" as this one.

With the Dremel and a cut off wheel, I lop off the part of the key that has the teeth. Then with the same wheel, cut a line down the center of the remaining part of the key. Finally, I will taper the edges with a sanding drum on the Dremel and fine tune it. Below is a picture of the key and a Photoshop of what I plan to do with at (as soon as my dremel recharges!)

Attached Files:

2. moogvo

Well... Here it is... My new ALDL "key"... Now to make a book-O-codes to keep in the glove box...

Attached Files:

3. Jimmeh

Jimmeh New Member

For those of us uninformed, how does it read the codes? A series of CEL flashes?
  4. moogvo

Yes. That is correct.
  5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

... but what if that was the magic winning key?

Lol, nice one, i was thinking of taking all of those keys andmaking a fake key ring for the baby ... but then i worried about lead paint.
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Obviously you've never heard George Carlins theory on why children now days get sicker than they did years ago, let'em lick the lead paint it puts a coating in their belly so they can eat hot foods later in life!!
  7. moogvo

I don't think there is even any paint on them. They are silver through and through. I don't think they are aluminum though because they are way too stiff and they do stick to magnets. I don't believe they are brass. They are not plain steel because they don't rust (Many of them got played with outside and are still out there, taunting the mower)

I get it about the kids... Mine fight over them and I had to sneak this one out after they were at school and/or napping. LOL!
  8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Good idea! It looks nice. I always take those type of ads and put them in the pre-approved credit card return envelopes and then mail them back to the credit card company. They pay for the stamp so I figure I may as well use it. :) Sometimes I put in an ad for bedBug removal or whatever crazy thing comes in the mail that day.
  9. MoBillyAla

MoBillyAla Member

I usually do the same thing! I usually try to mix different junk mail into the return envelopes instead of sending them their own junk back. Plus I figure it has to help justify the post office. They need all the work they can get to stay in business anyways. :happy: