1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Heritage lines? and the design of modern GM vehicles....

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by PantheraUncia, Feb 25, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I know what heritage lines mean or have an idea what they mean, so I want to trace this back a ways (almost to the beginning).

I found this photo on flicker of an old GM truck from the early 1900's.....

3592131487_b79649134d_o.jpg

Now I consider that a beautiful truck..... now these "heritage lines" follow through to the 1950's to some degree...

1950chevypickup.jpg

Then something went seriously wrong..... not sure who at GM was smoking something other than tobacco...

0602cct_04_z+1960_chevy_pickup+.jpg

While this truck still has "character" it marked a change, now I like this truck, but it was a major change.

Then.....

it sets in....

9106654_1.jpg

This is the basic design of the "modern" GM (Silverado/Sierra) that we know today

GM only "deviated" to some degree from this design the year I bought my truck, the front end is slightly different, the whole "Box/Brick" look is gone and there the corners have been rounded out to give it a "sleek" modern look (see signature pick).

That being said, yes trucks are bricks going down the road, but they can be ugly bricks or they can be good looking bricks. Everyone likes a good looking brick that is functional.

That brings me to the 2014's. GM did not follow any "heritage" lines in the 2014 unless the GM trucks heritage started in the late 1960's (Which is obviously wrong).

Maybe if GM really went back to its roots for the "look" of their trucks, we would have GM trucks that looked like Dodge truck's from the outside, while everything underneath the truck would be Vortec or Duramax.

This:

2014-gmc-sierra-580x326.jpg

and This:

3592131487_b79649134d_o.jpg

Share absolutely nothing when it comes to looks and the 2014 should be disgraceful to GM truck enthusiasts.
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You've kinda been unfair as you've mixed Silverado and GMC's interchangeably ... yet if you put two models of the same year side by side they tend to look slightly different -- especially in the noses of the NBS and NNBS trucks.

Also, the image of the Ford and the 2014 GMC share more in common than the 2014 GMC has in common with its own past. Again, compare the noses. It readily becomes apparent when you compare its nose to a late model Ford truck's.
  3. PantheraUncia

Opps, that is a ford, that is a simple fix.... but idea is there. I think that only the Ram's truely follow what a "traditional" truck would look like with the front wheel flares the way that do that and the hood that comes in (not as drastically as back in the early 1900's (Like a "V:))

The differences between Silverado's and Sierra's is so minor..... grill, lights, that a comparison to an early 1900's Silverado/Sierra almost make the 2014's look alien.
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

They both have 1 piece windshields, believe it or not that was a major milestone for every automobile manufacturer to successfully do. And if you notice later model trucks go back to 2 piece windshields for a while.
    The first truck in your line-up is a 1936 Medium duty truck. And no it really doesnt lend any of its lines to the new GMC truck. It's more about name recognition for the company.
  5. PantheraUncia

Tb,

Why is GM so hung up on what I am going to call (Some may disagree) the "Ugly Square Brick" design from the late 60's through the early 1990's?

If they want a good looking truck, go back and pull the lines and modernize them from that 1930's truck.... or would that make the GM trucks look to much like dodge rams these days?
  6. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The 2014 silverado looks like a 1985 truck. That was part of the design they said it in the unveiling cast.
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

They didnt get the name "Square body" because it was an endearing term, for some reason until Dodge redesigned in the 90's everyone thought a truck had to be a big square brick, other manufacturers have been slow to add style to the line, dont know why but I do agree those older trucks had style, body lines were more like art, very fluid and good to look at.
  8. ron8879

ron8879 New Member

trucks of early years were work horses meant to do hard work and spent more time with tires that could go through a field then a paved road...todays trucks are different, they are fashion statements (try finding a early truck with a 6" lift in the early 1900's), family haulers (which is why we have to have extended cabs and quad cabs), and with larger displaced engines that need more room to breath (which the v shape would limit very much.....heck even AC was a luxary as well as full door panels, headliners, and carpet until the 70-80's ......trucks have evolved but the difference is way more then the body shape....there just totally different animals compared to the trucks of old...and used for way different purposes in most cases
  9. PantheraUncia

I am not sure how that v shaped engine compartment affects the ground clearance, it actually looks normal in that photo of the early GM 3/4 ton. The engine and tranny are in the a-typical place that they are on modern trucks.

That early one also,looks like its got 18-20inch wheels on it :)..... may not be gunmetal or chrome but they are big :)

They should come out with a V shaped engine compartment on the next generations trucks, not quite as strong a "V" as the vintage truck but more agressive "V" than the look of the dodge Rams.....

might be a change for the future and good of the GM truck market.
  10. ron8879

ron8879 New Member

The older trucks didnt have to fit air conditioning, fuse panels, electronics, large air intakes, and the engines most of the time had a 2 or 3 speed transmission which took up a ton less room then the current transmission for sure (think about the fact that only a 6 cylinder could fit under the hood of a prowler))...agreed that order vehicles did have large wheels but they were horribly uncomfortable for sure LOL....I just cant see them going to this design but the second pic u put up is a very sharp truck with very nice lines.