1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Heritage lines? and the design of modern GM vehicles....

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by PantheraUncia, Feb 25, 2013.

1. barefoot greg

barefoot greg New Member

the v shape you're referring to has to do with whether or not the car has internal fenders or external fenders. Which when they swapped was a big engineering leap which is still why they are so popular today.

Alot of the people around here bag on the newer chevies, and im talkin about chevy owners. The K10's big steel brick with leaf springs all the way around and a solid axle is still reveared as a nostailgic fail of chevy for swapping to IFS and making far smaller pretty trucks that everybody's girlfriend could drive. Dont get me wrong I love my chevy, but I've put alot of money into it to get the Big Steel Brick back!

chevy did make a truck with external fenders called the SSR remember?

Chevrolet-SSR_Concept_2000_Wallpaper_.jpg

The New Silverado's Front clip reminds me of the 80's model Sierra with the top and bottom headlights, and the sierra's new frontend reminds me of the 74-79 chevy's
    gmc.jpg petes78chevy.jpg
  2. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts

So the way I feel about the SSR is that is was a failed attempt to resurrect the el camino in the US. It really wasn't meant to change the full size truck market.

What would you get if you took the good points of the SSR, the updates of the 2014 silverado and sierra, and met half way on a body design that would fit 1500's, 2500's, and 3500's?

I think from a body design, that would be a quick seller..... not as radical as the SSR and not a BOX like the current 2014 trucks are.
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts

Well, Nak, you can always head to a body shop with your idea and customize the heck out of your 2014...
  4. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts

That is an option and no one else would have it..... last time I asked about custom body panels (like a kit you could get for the pontiac fiero) to make it a ferrari; I was told the cost of custom panels wasn't worth it.....:gasp:
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

[MENTION=52280]nakranij[/MENTION], unfortunately, for your likes, GM is only interested in selling vehicles, not continuing a "heritage" line.

Every truck that GM produced was designed by people with the current fashion trends in mind, the designs were "adjusted" by input from the buying public and approved by upper management. Heritage is always considered, GM wants you to be able to recognize their lines from a distance. I think they have done a good job, things like grill shape and style, side profile and tail light shape has subtile hints that belie the heritage.

The "brick" appeal was very much in style while it was being produced.

The SSR was a design exercise. Loved by those who saw it at the large car shows and tossed into production. At the time, the fashion trend of the day was '50s styling.

Trends are very fickle, hence the short life of the SSR (some will blame the short life on the small V8, but adding the larger V8 didn't save it) and, the PT Cruiser and the Prowler didn't live long either.
  6. SurrealOne

Curb weight was a huge problem with the SSR. So was the sticker price. The Prowler was intended to be very limited in quantity and had more buyers than there were cars; sticker shock didn't seem to matter with it.
  7. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

They were all design exercises. Point I'm making, is that the trend did not last long, the SSR, HHR, both gone, the customers like today's modern look.

But, I would love to have an SSR
  8. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Personally, I think the NBS and NNBS look nasty and do not match the heritage of the GM truck, or the Big 3 trucks in general. Trucks have always been boxy with squared off corners. Cars are about curvy lines, not trucks. Personally, I like the look of the 2014 since it reminds me of the 2005 on Ford trucks once Ford realized curvy trucks doesn't look right. My favorite bodystyle of the GM trucks was the mid-80s.
  9. SurrealOne

You can get them for 25-35k depending on colour, mileage, and year. They're common enough, here, that there are three on Criagslist within 100 miles of me, right now. C'mon down. :)
  10. csltrains96

csltrains96 Member

Has anyone thought about what it would take, and the headaches you would encounter, to make a crew cab out of something like the Gen2 1955 stepside? The older lines are beautiful, but you just can't do as much with them as the more "square" modern designs.