Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Hey GM Wake UP!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Enkeiavalanche, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Or will GM be LAST to market this???

[h=1]Chrysler will offer diesel version of light-duty Ram pickup[/h]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    By: Restyling News
    Monday, February 18, 2013

Chrysler Group’s Ram brand announced Feb. 14 that it will be first to offer a small-displacement diesel for its half-ton line of trucks.
    Featuring a new 3.0-liter EcoDiesel engine and an eight-speed TorqueFlite automatic transmission, the automaker said the 2014 Ram 1500 will deliver best-in-class fuel efficiency and torque. If Chrysler delivers and the price is right, the diesel truck could propel pickup sales, which will stimulate demand for aftermarket accessories.
    The 3.0-liter, V-6 turbo-diesel from Italian engine maker VM Motori produces 60% less emissions than those produced by diesel powertrains 25 years ago, Ram’s maker notes.
    The same eight-speed transmission and turbo-diesel engine that will power the 2014 half-ton pickup is identical to one offered in the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee that achieves highway fuel economy above 30 mpg, as reported by Larry Vellequette of Automotive News.
    Although diesel engines are only available in half-ton pickup variants, they typically achieve higher fuel economy with better torque than gas-powered engines. The 2014 Ram 1500 will be Chrysler’s first light-duty pickup offering since the early 1980s.
    Pricing has not yet been announced, but the diesel pickup is scheduled to enter production in July.

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

GM has the engine and tranny ready. They just need to put it in the trucks. Look up the 4.5L Duramax. GM developed it from 09-10, but never put it in a truck because of raising diesel costs and worry it wouldn't catch on especially right after the bailout. It is said to have 310 hp and 520 ft lb of torque which helps it achieve up to 25% better mpg then a gas truck under light load and 75%-50% better mpg when towing or hauling compared to a gaser.

3. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

A Chevy Cruz with a turbo diesel is being released later this year. Maybe if that does well, they'll put a small diesel in the Silverado.

4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I personally don't understand the fascination with diesel, I understand for a full size truck that gets worked hard. But for a daily driver it seems kind of silly, just the repair cost alone of a diesel make me steer clear.

5. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

This is completely false. If you "pay" a repitable shop to replace injectors on a 5.3L gas vortec, they will charge you about $1500 for parts and labor. Glow plugs are cheap and hardly ever need replacing.

Your tires, frame, suspension are the same across all 1500's, unless you go with HD shocks (which shocks are easy to install) they are cheaper at the parts store.

The only thing (6.6L dmax) is that the 6.6L Dmax uses 12 quarts of oil per oil change. A 4.5L would take allot less oil than a 6.6L engine.

By the time you figure the 5.3L averages 15mpgs and the 4.5L Dmax gives you 24-30mpgs. you have more than made your money back (unless you are leasing the truck and you loose your shirt).

I keep my trucks on average 13 years and they are paid off within the first 48 months. To compare 13 years with a 5.3L gas to a 4.5L dmax, I am putting money in my pocket every year I own that dmax once it is paid off.

The diesel also run cooler meaning less heat damage where parts will need to be replaced in the engine more often on a 5.3L gas.

6. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Also adding to what [MENTION=52280]nakranij[/MENTION] said the 4.5l doesn't have a true intake and the injectors are externally mounted to make replacement easy. The turbo is mounted in the valley of the engine to help make the engine smaller but more powerful. This engine would likely out last the body it would be installed in. GM worked very hard on this engine but sadly did nothing with it.
    gm-has-changed-its-v-8-bellhousing-pattern.jpg

7. PantheraUncia

And when it comes to "fuel" prices.....

Right now these are the lowest fuel prices around where I live:

87oct gas $3.69/Gal
    89oct gas $3.77/Gal
    93oct gas $3.99/Gal

Diesel $4.05/Gal

Now I have my 5.3L re-tuned for 93oct. that is $3.99/Gal. "If" I had a 4.5L Diesel I would be paying $4.05/Gal

My Truck is an ext. cab/w 6.5ft bed. My tank is 27.5gal (per the sticker from GM at the dealer)

• If my tank was "dry" it would cost me $109.725 to put 93 oct. in it
    • If my tank was "dry" it would cost me $1113.75 to put diesel in it

• 27.5/Gal of 93oct will get me 412.5 miles per fill up @15mpg
    • 27.5/Gal of Diesel will get me 660 miles per fill up @ 24mpg
    • 27.5/Gal of Diesel will get me 825 miles per fill up @ 30mpg

I drive about 300 miles a week; you don't have to know more than basic math to see a pattern adding up really fast over 12 months or 13 years.....

Now ask yourself why I would buy another gas powered truck?

What happens if 93oct goes to $5 or $8 per gallon and diesel is $5.05 or $8.05 per gallon? I would really hate to be the person who owns that gas truck, I am still able to put some money away for a vacation?

Unless you are just made of money....

:lol:

I think I have more than covered the extra cost of the oil changes and all of the maintenance on the 4.5L Diesel.

Oh, and for the people running 87oct in their 5.3L gas engine.... figure 10-15% less MPG's than 93oct.

I am not endorsing this site, but if you really think diesel is that much more than what you are paying for gas, take a reality check:

http://gasbuddy.com/

(Now each local/state) will be different.... some places may have $1 difference between 87oct and diesel, but not many.

Another thing to consider is 99% of the gas stations out there are selling you 90% gas and 10% ethanol. That 10% ethanol is messing with your fuel economy even if you have a flex fuel truck.

Check out:

http://pure-gas.org/

ethanol-free gas is going to cost the same or more than Diesel, then the cost savings really start adding up and trying to get ethanol-free gas is going to be allot harder than trying to find diesel.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  8. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

:great:
    LS ENGINES RULE, TRUE STORY

9. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Very nice write up... Don't forget about the extra Tq too and power..

10. PantheraUncia

Yes, the extra Tq and Power is part of the reason I am looking to go to a Dmax.... and how easy you can tune them for some real power..... it is cheaper to get 600hp+ on a Dmax than an LS engine, not that many people want to have a 0-60 faster than a Z06 :) but it is nice and the photo of the guy in the vet looking at you as you pass him is even better :) in your 8000lb truck made of raw steel

I wonder what would happen (Other than you would not want to haul a load in the bed or use the truck as a truck) if you had a Titanium alloy frame to reduce the weight of the truck and then went with all carbon fiber panels...

If you could drop the weight of the 6.6L Dmax by 2000-3000lbs and keep the same power train (Engine, Tranny, rear diff), you really would be smoking allot of the rycers even harder and get even better fuel econ.