Hey Guys Got A Steering Problem With my 79 K20!?

Discussion in 'Lowered & Urban Suspension' started by drizzy, Feb 27, 2013.

Newest Photos

1. drizzy

drizzy New Member

Hi im new to the forum but not new to the c/k series i have a steering problem and cant figure out whats going on? So heres the scoop theres over a full turn of play in the steering wheel and it turns more in the right then it does in the left. It also will kind of stick in one position when i drive it and there will be almost a full turn of play then it will turn its scary havent really drove it since this. It has a new power steering pump and a fairly new gear box please help lol. If it matters it has 33s and 295s for width for tires.
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Check the box mounts to the frame for cracks and separation, probably wont be the whole problem but it can exaggerate an existing problem, this is a common problem on square body trucks running larger tires.
    If I didnt know better I'd say you had a worn steering box or bad drag link/bushings.
    Start by lifting the front of the truck in the air and having someone turn the steering wheel while you look at all the components to see whats not responding.
  3. ptjeep77

ptjeep77 New Member

i have a similar problem in my 1978 GMC sierra short bed not the full turn of play part but the not steering all the way in one direction. my truck has a 4" suspension lift and 16/35R15 TSL swampers on it. I have just bought the truck and finding out new stuff everyday but have just noticed it is hard steering when i sit still and really doesn't start turning till i move a little and when it does steer it will steer normally to the right but when i straighted the wheels and turn left it only turns a little bit. I am gonna take your advice about lifting the front end and checking things out. but i also am wondering if my power steering pump needs to be replaced and how would i check for that?
  4. drizzy

drizzy New Member

Thanks im going to try that and will keep you posted.
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

A worn pump is hard to diagnose unless it just isnt pumping fluid, back to the large tires these trucks were originally built with a max of a 30" tire in mind (their simply wasnt anything larger for them in that day and age), the pump could be worn, that you can check by popping the power steering fluid cap while its running and verify a steady flow of fluid running through the pump, especially when the wheels are being turned. Again this could be part of your problem also with worn parts exaggerating things.
    PSC and a few other companies were making high flow pumps for older steering systems, not sure about the availability now since I havent worked on an older truck in a few years.
    If you run across the cracked frame theres also a company making scab repair plates to strengthen and repair the damage.
    Should be able to fingd the parts through a google search.