Hey Guys, just checkin in. Pics of misc progress

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by 04SilveradoMykk, May 29, 2011.

1. 04SilveradoMykk

04SilveradoMykk Rockstar 100 Posts

Heya Guys, Mykk here. Just checking in, seeing what's new on the site. I've been slowly plugging along on my truck, here are a few pics of some projects I've been up to with my Silverado.

I've been spending some time dialing things in on the engine, I wanted to focus on ignition timing and fuel delivery.

I currently have the distributor set up to max timing at 36 degrees all in by 3000rpm, with a 18 degree advance bushing. I have the vacuum advance designed to use manifold vacuum, it adds 12 degrees of timing all in by 8" of vacuum. So I have 18 degrees of cranking, 30 degrees initial, 36 degrees mechanical max and a max crusing timing of 48 degrees. Setting up the dist this way cured alot of hesitations & stumbles. It revs much quicker, the exhaust doesn't smell nearly as much like unburnt fuel and it smoothed over quite a bit of the lumpy idle provided by the cam.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I removed my big single plane intake and installed a dual plane, air-gap type intake. I also worked a 1" four hole tapered spacer to flow smoothly to the intake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I got the truck running again, I managed to snap a tooth off the pinion gear. So a new ring & pinion was installed.

[​IMG]

Shortly after getting the differential back together, I hurt another 4L60E transmission (Making this #3 in 6 months). So out it came for a performance rebuild.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While the transmission was removed, I set the truck back on the ground. I had the parking brake fail on me and the truck rolled down a hill and into a fence and hurt the bed pretty bad.

[​IMG]

2. 04SilveradoMykk

04SilveradoMykk Rockstar 100 Posts

Off came the bed:

[​IMG]

While the bed was off I decided to re-located that fuel cell to behind the axle between the frame rails.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I redid a few of the fuel lines, and mounted the adjustable fuel pressure regular downstream of the carb and hooked it up to manifold vacuum. This way the engine gets high fuel pressure when needed, and low fuel pressure at idle & cruise so it won't fight the needle & seats and take a load off the pump.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm playing with the exhaust again, this time I'm moving the mufflers further down to just in front of the axle and leave them dumped. I can't decide to stay with the Flowmaster Super 40's or give the Super 44's a shot. What do you think?

As for a new bed, I decided to try and locate a '08+ GMT900 bed. According to my measurements a GMT900 short bed will bolt right on, line up perfect and fit great on the older frame.

I tried to line up my '09 GMC as to get a good idea of what the newer bed would look like on the truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the next month or so my truck will get parked for a while and put on the back burner while I go to Los Angeles to work. But when I get some free time and I get back to Az hopefully I'll have enough money lined up to keep playing with and maybe even get to drive my Silverado.

Cheers ~Mykk

3. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Looks really good so far. That GMT900 bed will definitely be a unique mod.

4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Truck looks good! leep us posted

5. jbjohnson92f

jbjohnson92f Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

wow, awesome work so far, keep it up!!

6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Will the lower lines match up?

7. jdennis44

jdennis44 Rockstar 100 Posts

Very Nice!