1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Hey! Suburban in Europe

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by speedbird, Feb 27, 2009.

1. speedbird

speedbird New Member

Hi everybody!

I used to have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2 V8 for my daily driving, but I just wanted something bigger and more truly American style. The Jeep was great but I've never been much of an offroad guy and I don't consider myself a Jeep guy. I like on-road driving more and mud is not my friend :D I rather have my cars as clean as possible.
    So accidentally I found a car ad where a guy wanted to sell his 1997 Suburban and he offered a trade-in for a Grand Cherokee, too. This was a rather unusual opportunity and although I didn't really even consider giving away my Jeep before that, I called the guy and we met at his place. We were both happy with each other's cars, we had both checked by qualified mechanics and finally agreed on the price that I had to pay extra (the Suburban is somewhat more expensive). In the current economy these cars don't sell well here in Estonia, Europe and they are basically only bought by fans and hobbyists. I think we both got a fairly good deal, since he needed the smaller car because his wife denied to drive the Suburban and he used it mostly as a hobby car, too. They had trouble sharing the one daily ride which is a BMW.
    I must say that I just love driving this car and it's so relaxing. The sound system is very good, the exhaust is not very loud and only screams when giving a lot of gas. I now have a rather satisfying feeling inside which tells me that I have a great daily + weekend car combination together with the 79 Corvette.
    The Suburban is a rather rare car here and people actually look at it very differently. Those who think very rationally tend to say that why would one need such a big car. Some certainly think that it must be some rich-ass fella driving his huge "Hummer", but I believe that most people kinda admire it. At least car fans who are not ricer freaks always like such cars. I have always smiled when I've seen such Christmas trees on the roads. But this is just to give you some idea about the life here, I don't care at all what others think and the main thing is that I like it. Life doesn't last forever and why not live it the way I want to.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The main problem outside is the missing light covers from the Lund moonvisor. However, I have them in the car and the previous owner removed them simply because the glue was getting loose and he didn't want to loose the covers. Will work these out soon. Fortunately the LEDs are still yellow so at night there's no difference.

I also got the Lund air deflector from the prev. owner which goes over the wipers and I tried to fit it today to see how it looks. Makes it so awesome! Even more big-rig look with the wider/less tall appearing windscreen. He suggested not to install it during snow-period though because when everything gets iced up, it's hard to get the wipers out etc.

I'm hoping to get some good help from here :)

2. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to GMTC! we're getting members from all over ! I myself am originally from England but have lived in the U.S. for quite sometime now, used to have a suburban I hope you enjoy yours as much as I did mine :glasses:

3. speedbird

speedbird New Member

Thanks! I'm not really very educated on the GM trucks yet because this offer basically "fell into my hands". I haven't done as much preparation as I did when I was looking for the Jeep or the Corvette. At least I know that technically it's all very good because I had it checked by pro's, but for instance I need to take out the CD player deck and either clean it or buy a new one from Ebay because it gives an error and the prev. owner told that he also got it working for some period and then it quit again. I'm also thinking that the front A/C control panel might be good to replace because when I have the Vent blower setting in some certain position, it might just start blowing stronger and then again lower and the switch gets slightly stuck when trying to put into OFF. I believe the blower speed positions should actually be very strict and it shouldn't change the fan speed automatically, right? Other switches and knobs on it are good though.

P.S.

adampaul1964, I noticed that you had a 97 Suburban LT. Mine also says LT on the sides and I wonder what does it exactly mean? I assume it's a Limited or fully equipped version?

4. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

welcome to the site

5. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

LT is a trim package option, usually leather seats and all the power options, seats windows etc and tinted glass and probably a few other goodies I can't think of!

6. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site, Geoprge, and congrat's on the new Siub'! Sure looks good, have fun!

7. Darstedly

Darstedly Rockstar 100 Posts

Hello from England. I've just picked up my first Suburban and it is fantastic. (Apart from the fact that it seems to short out when I try to start it now I have it home). Welcome to the site.

8. crane3447

crane3447 Rockstar 100 Posts

I think its cool alot more of these thucks are showing up on the other side of the pond. But I must take some real dedacation to own one. The price of fuel and getting parts must be a pain.

Glad to have you guys aboard! You should get some GM TRUCK CULB stickers for your windows.

9. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!!!

Hope the new Burb treats you well.

10. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!