1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hi All and First Question - 2006 Silverado "Tapping Noise" when driving.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by brianbittner1, Dec 24, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. brianbittner1

brianbittner1 New Member

Hi All,

My name is Brian Bittner and I live in Pennsylvania. Proud owner of an 06 Silverado Quad Cab. Love the truck! Within the last two months, I started getting this tapping noise that would come and go as I would drive. I did some snooping around and the item that is making the noise is located under the plastic VORTEC housing. It sits vertical with a blue cap on top with several wires coming off of it. Any thoughts what the heck it is?? I tried looking for a diagram of a Silverado motor and I did not have much luck. Truck runs great, this tapping gets a little annoying at red lights and stop signs.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all!!
  2. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

3. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome aboard. What part of PA? I'm not able to answer your question, but I'm sure someone will be able to help.
  4. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Hi Brian, welcome to the club.
  5. brianbittner1

brianbittner1 New Member

Additional Info

Thanks for the replies and welcomes all!!! I live in the State College PA area. Lovely old Penn State!!! The motor is a 5.3 Z71. Hope this helps. I went through some of the diagrams and I could not find the specific part. If it helps, the part is towards the front of the motor.
  6. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  7. Bigbomber

Bigbomber New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the site!
  8. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

sounds like your MAP sensor ????

maybe u can see it on here

Attached Files:

9. brianbittner1

brianbittner1 New Member

I have two pics to add. Here they are.......... PART 2.jpg Part 1.jpg

We unplugged it today and the noise stopped. Has to be the source, but not sure what the part is exactly. Would like to avoid contact with a garage if at all paossible.
  10. brianbittner1

brianbittner1 New Member

Still looking for an ID guys on the pics............