1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hi, my name is Joe and I finally purchased a 1989 chevy suburban...

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by 80 grit, Nov 28, 2010.

1. 80 grit

80 grit Rockstar

...after many years of dreaming about owning one. I always loved the body style of the late 80's and I finally had an opportunity to get one in very good conditon. Minor rust in a few of the rocker panels, rear quarters..otherwise solid truck. Started it's life in Daryl Hickman chevrolet-olds Siloam Springs, AR. Passenger rear glass is cracked and the regulator doesn not work, otherwise all electrical works fine. Ac works fine (front and rear). Motor runs fine. I have not taken possession of it yet so I can't post any pics. She has what I think is a 4" or 6" lift (rough country) Interior is in great shape. Needs a headliner. Needs paint. Plan to take it slow as I have been "downsizing" these past two years with the economy and all...but I would like to eventually replace all the rust/bondo areas with metal and paint it flat black with the bottom half sprayed in bedliner.

I am a professional tattoo artist. I have been at the same shop for 12 years. I have a lovely wife and four great kids with one more on the way. I am into God (Jesus) and I have no shame shouting to the world what the Lord has done for me in my life! I look forward to being a member of this sight and I hope and pray I will receive guidance from the many members who I am conifdent know alot more about Suburbans than I do:happy: (This is my first 4x4).

I should have the truck by next week and I will post up some pictures. Thanks!
  2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Hey 80 Grit, welcome to the GM truck club. I like the older body styles too, hence my choice of an '88. With a name like 80 Grit you must be a bodywork sanding wildman :)
  3. 80 grit

80 grit Rockstar

stephan,

Although I have done my share of sanding on metal...I am not a body man. I received the nickname "80 Grit" from a buddy who was under my tattoo needles for 6 hours. By hour five he was whining like a baby saying, "man, put some soap on that wipe rag...it feels like your using 80 Grit on me..." From that day forward that was my new nickname:lol:

Do you have any pics posted of your 88?
  4. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

ROFL that's funny. Rumor has it that your alternate nickname is Dr. Pain:rofl:
    I have pics in my camera, but don't have the means or the knowledge to put them in my pc yet. Pics require a 20 mile round trip to my buddys house where he scans them into his pc & then sends them to me in an email lol
  5. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club, Joe! I like that body style too. I suppose the simplicity catches my eye. I hope this forum serves as a great source for you while you fix her up.
  6. 80 grit

80 grit Rockstar

Such isolation/wilderness makes me jealous! That's the life...take it from me, I used to drive a box truck throughout the five borroughs of New York. I am currently displaced in this hell/swamp called Florida. Some day I will get to the wilderness (God's country!):yes:
  7. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site!
  8. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome and congrats on your new ride!!!
  9. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome
    You will love the Suburban-they are do anything vehicles that are relatively cheap easy to repair with excellent parts availability and good reliability for the essential stuff-drivetrain / AC.
    My 1998 is only my second GM(unless you count my dad's 1954 Chevy in 1954 which he cursed for reasons I don't remember).We had a 2001 Prizm-really a Corolla-which was a pretty good car.
    I didn't expect much for a 195,000 mile $2950 Suburban 3.5 years ago, but it has been a very reliable, versatile vehicle which can evacuate all out pets-2 dogs, 4,5 cats, 3 adults when the next hurricane comes(Nola suburb).
    You will find your Suburban very useful since you live in a very ,very hurricane prone state also and have 4+1 kids, wife you to get to high ground when the next one comes.You can sleep in it if it comes to it-while carrying an ice chest.
    You might look into getting a cheap hitch mounted basket for hurricane evacuations-ice chest etc to feed kids etc.It probably already has a receiver hitch on it- 90% of Suburbans have them-cheap to buy in any case..
    Charlie

ps When you get it-we demand pictures!!
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  10. MPC-Silverado

MPC-Silverado Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Welcome to the club!