hid and window tint

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by Burden33, May 20, 2010.

1. Burden33

Burden33 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

so guys im looking at getting hid i was woundering if they got hid for the fog lights and low and high beams and what kind of hid is everyone going with. also im looking at tinting my side windows to match the back just woundering if 20 or 30% owuld be ther better look for the truck and to match it u as close as possable thanks

2. lsutoms

lsutoms Rockstar 100 Posts

i cant tell u the name of mine but i had them installed about 9 months ago and they came with a lifetime waranty.. i paid $230 just for low's... make sure that you have a relay run in them.. mine are currently hooked up without a relay and they're not getting enough power and my passenger side starts flashing like a strobe light sometimes.. but with the waranty he's fixing it for free.. and they do make a bulb for highs, lows, and fogs

also with the tint, 20% will match your back windows. I first put 20% of my front windows with a 5% strip and i put a layer of 10% on my rear glass.. i had my rear door windows tested that day and they were 18.5% so you cant really match them exactly but 20% will be close enough... since then i have gone back and put a layer of 5% all the way around. 20% is deffinately dark enough to get you out of the sun a bit and so not as many people can see you. People will still be able to see your outline of your body and be able to tell what your doing to an extent..

if you want it a bit darker than that put a layer of 5% on your front doors and a layer of 20% on your rear doors and glass.. and if you end up layering your tint make sure that you find a place that will still waranty the tint if its layered.. some places will not.

3. sharpshooterusmc

sharpshooterusmc Rockstar 100 Posts

i have the DDM HID's and i love them. U cant beat the price. less than $50 shipped. All i have is the low beams cuz i dont need high beams cuz the lows are plenty bright enough and i didnt get the fogs cuz i offroad alot and i always end up with water in my fog lights.

with the window tint, i have 20% on my front windows and 5% on the back with a 5% stripe on the winshield. its dark enough to please me but not to dark to where the cops mess with me.

4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I did 35% on my fronts and that was plenty dark enough really.. but make sure you look at your local tint laws since here in MN the cops get pissy since the law is 50% which really isnt anything.

5. ZSI52

ZSI52 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I heard 15 percent matches with the rear windows. I
    have 20 on my fronts and it doesn't match with the rears.

6. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have 20% on my front windows, doesn't match perfectly because the back is smoked, and the front is tinted so it's a different shade of tint but it looks good. 6000k HID's in my highs a lows, there is HID kits for your fog lights, the bulbs for your fog lights are H16 or 9009, so just buy HIDs with that size bulb and your good to go.

7. tiresmokindad

tiresmokindad New Member

I think they have high beams. I am using the D1-1 hid. I think 30% is better.

8. silveradogsxr

silveradogsxr New Member

I have 15% on my fronts and It matches perfectly.

9. Burden33

Burden33 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

thanks guys for the advice im going to the shop on tuesday to have them do tint and as far as hid goes i tend to go offroads once in awhile and was woundering if it will mess up the hid in my fog lights with i had them submerged in water

10. Uncle Matt

Uncle Matt New Member

I tested my windows at work a month ago when I bought my new 2010 GMC 2500HD crew cab. According to our departments tint meter, my rear windows are 20% from the factory. I just tinted my front side windows at 22% and to the naked eye they appear to match. The 22% was the closest they had to 20%.

Now I'm saving for a Denali look alike grille from E.G. Classic grilles.

Last edited: May 23, 2010