1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

HID Conversion Kits for a 2000 Silverado LS

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by PantheraUncia, Dec 24, 2011.

1. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Apparently these are legal or illegal depending on where you live, but I have seen some dealerships install them after market for people if they purchase the kits.

I would like to make the conversion and I guess the biggest thing is that with the 9005/9006 bulb replacement kits in silverado's is that you want to use a relay to get power right from the battery or they may not work.

Has anyone made the conversion, how difficult was it and who are resellers that you would reccomend? (I see allot of these resellers come and go over night).
  2. Kady

Kady New Member 100 Posts

I bought my kits for my trucks from DDMTuning.com. I've installed them in my 96 and 00... Its super easy. Disconnect the old bulbs from the harness. The kit will have consist of an HID bulb and ballast... The ballast plugs directly into the harness, and then the bulb plugs into the ballast... Soemtimes you have to work a lil with bulbs to get them to sit correctly in the headlight housing. I had more problems with my 00 than my 96... But that was my only problem... You also have to find somewhere secure and out of the way to mount the ballast.

I have noticed though, the headlight furthest away from the battery sometimes has issues. If you flash from low to high, and then back to low too quickly, the passenger side bulb will not go own. I've been told this is because it cant get the power it needs. But if you leave it for about 5 seconds on high, then switch back to low, its fine.
  3. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Hi Kady,

Thank you for the information. From what I have read, our trucks need a relay to pull power directly from the battery to make them work properly. I was thinking of going with 55 watt low beams and 55 watt high beams. I want to make sure I get everything I need when I order so I am not out looking for parts after the kits arrive.