Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

HID Conversion? Replace the stock bulbs in fog lights

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by Silverado 2005 LS, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Well I have these fog lights with crappy lights. So I wanna convert it over to HID or brighter lights so what am I looking at getting? Different gauge wires, new bulbs, new fuses?

Attached Files:

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Are those the Plastic housing?
  3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you can get them to work-True HID kits put out 2.5 to 3 times the light of our/your 55 watt halogen bulbs
    and HID kits are dirt cheap now.
    I put them on my Nissan Titan-worked great
    After I sold it-bought the 98 Suburban(2007)
    I tried to put them in the Suburban
    Put Kit in-disabled DRL(pulled fuse)
    NO LIGHT- well I put the kit on the side-couldn't find online seller-
    Few days back I saw that a relay harness-$8-is commonly sold to
    make Hid kits work better "and for some vehicles that the kits won't work on without"
    I have that harness on the way.
    My point-ASK the seller before you buy if your GM needs the harness-and if there is any trickery involving the daytime running lights.
    My kit is the low beams-9006 or maybe 9005-
    Most folks go low beams only-PLENTY of light.
    And 4300 "TEMP" is the stock color-WHITE
    If you go 6000K or above-you get weirder blue hue-then purple-and LESS LIGHT-
    so don't go over 6000(slight blue) or 4300(white OEM color)-unless you are young and want to attract cop's attention.
    1)So ask seller if you need harness
    2)Ask about DRL
    3) Get low beams
    4) 4300 or 6000k colorLuck
    charlie
    PS Glad I didn't toss my kit-hope it didn't get beaten up much while "stored" for 6 years(stored -meaning under computer table and kitchen table-cats all over place-dog also-knocking things over)
  4. The feel like a hard plastic and the lights literally only work to like 10ft. And thanks for all the help! I will look into it!
  5. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Daytime running lights are only a problem if you're converting your factory headlights... Tie into your trigger and use a 12v source with a relay and an H3 HID kit (35w) and you will be completely fine. As was mentioned earlier, kelvin temperature dictates light color so be mindful of that.

BUT in all honesty, you won't notice much of a difference....
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would be afraid that the HID bulbs would melt the housing.
  7. Right I'm thinking that the lights are gonna be a little more of decoration than performance and use... At least until I can find decent lights. Although I may make a mount for some trail teks that I got laying around(used for use on trails on my ATV) I have 5 of them laying around so I'm gonna try and figure something out with those. Only prob is they use high W's to power.
  8. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

True HID bulbs burn cooler than halogen bulbs, not the xenon crap you see at an auto parts store, those are halogen bulbs with xenon gas in them and they arent as bright as halogens actually.

If heat is your concern HID would actually be better (and actually ALOT brighter too), but if its plastic like Pikey is asking then going up on the wattage would be a bad idea...
  9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

No comment.
  10. Good advice.

anyways, I think I will save my money. And use my trail techs or mount these an just not use em. Idk yet I'm stuck at the moment.

- - - Updated - - -

Couldn't find mine but here is the model that I got or at least one of the sets I have. Anyways check it out.
    http://www.trailtech.net/A182-SS.html
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013