HID issues...

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by 00chevy53, Dec 20, 2010.

1. 00chevy53

00chevy53 Rockstar 100 Posts

i was wondering if any one else has had any issues with there hids. im not sure if its the kit i bought or what but my lights will flicker and some times cut off completely if i go over a small bump or dip in the road. any ideas?

2. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Sounds like a bad electrical connection somethere... Also, make sure your ballast is mounted securely...

3. 00chevy53

thats what i cant figure out because everything i can physicaly do to secure them has been done...i even had the shop i got them from look at them and they couldnt find an issue... the only thing i can think of is the kit sucks, the kit i had on my last vehicle was made by another company and it diddnt require an alternate relay switch like this one it just conected directly to the stock wiring

4. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Possibly something inside the ballasts is loose or something. Try switching the ballasts out, get new ones from the shop you got them from if you have to.

5. 00chevy53

thats whats gonna piss me off... i havent had the kit for a year yet and there already messing up... i thinik its about $40 for each balast

6. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Your kit doesn't have any type of warranty...?

7. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you are using a relay kit, try replacing your relay. I think it is a possibility that the mechanical parts in the relay could be a little off and a bump could cause your relay to cut out. Also, does your relay kit use plugs to connect to your headlight connectors, or is it tapped into the wiring? The reason I ask this is that on my truck, I was having some more severe issues with my HIDs than normal, and one night they wouldn't even fire. My splice was fine and looked fine, but what happened was that the stock headlight wiring on my truck was so thin and flimsy that both the power and the ground wires broke off while I was trying to figure out what was going on. Everything looked OK, but the wires were broken at the splice. Check that too. If nothing else, than check your ballasts. Good luck.

8. malsech

malsech New Member

x2 on the relay kit. I put a set on my alero and never even knew I needed a relay. I would turn on the car, HIDs would fire and within 5 minutes would flicker. I did a lot of research online to find that all I needed was a relay kit. If you dont have a relay kit start there. If you have a relay kit, check wiring and or replace.
    When I put a set on the silvy, I will def purchase relay kit with HID kit and install together.

9. 00chevy53

triton- from what the shop told me,no they do not...

what i noticed to when they completley cut out was over little bumps it would cut out or flicker... but when my tuck shifts gears it doesnt do anything, which i find strange because the shift kit in my truck will chirp the tires from first to second... im about to just take the kit off

10. amily

amily New Member

The lamp could not work well for several reasons,either the lamp is not seated in the socket properly and firmly, or the lamp can be defective. And also the ballast may be defective. You can swap the ballast on each side to make sure which part is defective.This may be a magentic core/coil type transformer, or it may be a small box with electronic parts inside.
    A loose wire at the lamp socket or the ballast will also cause a lamp no work.

Cold will cause to flicker, in the unlikely event the light is subjected to a cold atmosphere.

some truck models dont need relay harness... so if it is ur HID kit is totally sucks, just replace it with a plug-and-play type from http://www.vvme.com