1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

hid kit or not to hid kit

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by suupasilverado, Jun 4, 2009.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. suupasilverado

suupasilverado New Member

Whats happenin everyone? i have seen most of the posts on hid lights but none have answered the question i have. i have a 2009 silverado and want to purchase some hid lights, however, i'm not sure if i have to get the kit or if i'm able to just buy the bulbs. Any help is much appreciated.
  2. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

im pretty sure you would have to buy the whole kit, i think the bulbs are just replacement ones
  3. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

yes if you do not already have the kit then the bulb will do you no good
  4. suupasilverado

suupasilverado New Member

thanks you all.
  5. jcook90

jcook90 New Member

What's special about them that requires the kit?

I'm interested in doing this on my silverado, is it worth doing?
  6. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

in order for the HIDs to work you need the ballast to produce the kind of power needed for the lights to be as bright as they are
  7. 5point3

5point3 Rockstar 100 Posts

He is correct. I can get you a price on a kit if you are interested.
  8. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

agreed is correct. the gasses used in the bulb require a much higher voltage to start burning with a very high starting current to get them going. this can only be safely done with a ballast which acts as a starter, and a transformer making a few volts turn into tens of thousands of volts to make a long story short. (dont ask for the long one)
  9. Marcus

Marcus Rockstar

Hid's need a power supply to ignite the bulbs when they are first turned on. If you do not have the ballast which produces the power then you do not have true HID's. They sell look-a-like bulbs that look so-so but in my opinion it looks better to have the real thing.