1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hid problems =(

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Snyder729, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Snyder729

Snyder729 Rockstar

Okay so i bought an hid kit, installed it at first 1 light wouldnt turn on. So i tracked it down to being bad wiring in the relay. So i rewired it all to new connectors ect. I got my lights working drove to the gas station about 8 miles away turned my truck off and came back out, from then on the passenger side light WONT turn on. I switched the bulbs from side to side and the same problem exists, driver side on passenger side off. When i goto turn them on the one that wont turn on flickers for like .5 seconds and turns off. Both ballasts have power going to them cause theri indicator lights turn on. Any idea's?? =(
  2. Snyder729

Snyder729 Rockstar

No one?? =/
  3. b_burdine

b_burdine Rockstar 100 Posts

I would make sure that all of your connections are cleaned off first, and if that doesn't work, I would ask the person you bought them from to see if they have any good troubleshooting tips
  4. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

You have to give the ballast time to cool down before you fire it again... Let it sit for a while and try it again... If that doesn't work, you might have gotten a bad ballast... It happens from time top time...
  5. Snyder729

Snyder729 Rockstar

Yeah i have a bad ballast im sending it back and getting a new one under warranty.
  6. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Good deal...
  7. Stouffer

Stouffer Rockstar 100 Posts

Where did you get them from? I had the same problem with a kit from vvme
  8. Snyder729

Snyder729 Rockstar

I dont remember were i got them from actualy =/ i believe it was xenonhidworld.com or something like that.
  9. Silvercat

Silvercat New Member

Ballast

Yes, its a faulty Ballast. I have 2 dead ones here to confirm it. My HIDs did the same thing and it turned out to be the ballast.
    One would ignite the bulb but after about 10 mins the it would start to flash, like a camera flash bulb.
    I bet the oncoming traffic loved me for that. I tryed to fix it and gave up for fear of frying something important. The replacment ballast I got worked well for about 6-8 weeks, then it acted up too. It would just have enough to fire the bulb but not enough to keep it lit. So now I have 2 dead ballasts, 2 good bulbs and 1 good ballast. Shopping for another replacement ballast though.
    These lights are extreme, 6000k color and the reflected light from large road signs can actualy make you squint. The lines painted on the roads REALY glow too.
    P.S. These lights were in the correct projector type houseing to get the maximum benifit. I was impressed with the power.
    One thing that did concern me...SNOW. When it snows I bet the lights would be a problem, the snow flakes would realy light up and glow. Its bad enough with regular Halogen lights let alone these monsters.
    Have not had the chance to try them in snowy weather yet so I could be a worrywart for nothing.
    Good Luck I hope you get them both to fire
  10. DIGS16

DIGS16 Rockstar 100 Posts

what really? i got my kit from them and i have had no issues