Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

HID Setup

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by AKRide907, Nov 16, 2011.

1. AKRide907

AKRide907 Rockstar

Ive been doing some research online on the hid kits, and theyve got different ratings wattage wise. Most people go with the 35 watt hid kits, and then theres the 55 watt hid kits. Im kind of leaning towards the 55's right now, a friend showed me his truck and hes got a 55 watt setup, and it shines super bright. Brighter than the 35's, although the only thing i dont like about it is that it washes out the color from the ballast's a bit more... Are there any other disadvantages or advantages between going with a 35 watt or 55 watt kit?

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Exceeding the stock wattage is where you can run into problems due to the passage of too current through the stock wiring harnesses. Stock low beam incandescent bulbs are 55w bulbs, so I see no reason why 55w would be an issue for your kit.

3. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

@McMahan , I assume th HID's in your DRL's are 35w? I would think they would melt the smaller casing of the DLR? also do they burn out like the oem stinky builbs? or does the fact that they are ballasted keep them from burning up like the factory ones do?

4. Fonze

Fonze Member

I have 35w 6k's in my truck and they are great. Price was $100 at a local HID retailer here where I'm at and I haven't had any problems with them.

Although, this is what I'm doing to my truck VERY soon. :)

They run as DRL's so my HID lows will still be usable at night.

EDIT: I think I'm going to up the anny and get 55w's sometime in the future.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  5. SurrealOne

That's going to look sharp. Are you doing a colour-matched GMC logo, too?

6. Fonze

Fonze Member

I know I can't wait!

And no, I have a camo overlay on my logo. Check out my pics/sig.

7. SurrealOne

Sorry, it was camoflaged, so I missed it!

8. Fonze

Fonze Member

LOL!

iseewhatyoudidthere.

I'll post pics when it's done. Hopefully by the end of October!