1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

HID Suggestions

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by HFD525, Jun 29, 2012.

1. HFD525

HFD525 Member

I am going to be getting HIDs for my 2012 Silverado 1500 Lows Highs and Fogs. What do you suggest getting?

2. Ridyn

Ridyn Rockstar 100 Posts

I went with 55W 5000K for my lows and 35W 5000k for my fogs,, they have the same color output, but the 55W are a brighter white. I don't like having the blue/purple ghetto junk so i went with something classy.

3. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I just did 35w low beams and was told its not a good idea to do the high beams because there is a 3-5 second delay for the HID's to warm up when switching between high and low beams so you are with out any light long enough that the potential to wreck or hit something is there.

Where did you get the 55w kit/ballasts from? I wanted to go 55w in the low beams but I was told that there are allot of problems with the 55w ballasts?

4. Ridyn

Ridyn Rockstar 100 Posts

I get all my HID needs from ddmtuning.com and I've never had any issues with their kits. I got their slim digital ballast on my GTO and I got the regular raptor HID kits on my pick ups.

5. BRB46

BRB46 Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

I purchased mine,35w 5000k low beam from VVME. they were Hella ballasts and i also used a relay kit (which is highly recommended) that was all plug and play. X2 on the high beam unless you do a lot of rural driving as the constant on/ off cycle will shorten the life of bulb and ballast

6. Kady

Kady Rockstar GMTC Chick 100 Posts

I agree with Ridyn, I've always purchased my HID's from DDMtuning... I did though, have a problem with my fog light ballasts, they both seemed to go out, at separate times, but they have a life time warranty, so no biggie right? WRONG!!! I can't get through to any customer service agents to get my kits replaced.... Bummer.

7. ffdsmokeeater

ffdsmokeeater Member

Ridyn,

Is there a reason why you went with the slim ballast on the GTO and regular raptor on your pick-up (other than size)? I'm thinking about picking up two kits (low & fog).

8. Ridyn

Ridyn Rockstar 100 Posts

It was purely because of the size, the GTO has plenty of room for the raptor ballasts, but I wanted to hide them very well in the GTO because I used it for car shows and just wanted a cleaner install. My truck, not so worried since it's not going to be used for show at all.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  9. ffdsmokeeater

ffdsmokeeater Member

Ah, ok cool. I think I'm going to go with the slim ballasts for my truck anyway. Just to hid them even better. Did you opt for the recommended "two in two out" wiring harness for the 55 watt kit?

10. Ridyn

Ridyn Rockstar 100 Posts

No I did not, I normally only purchase things that people have commented on using before so I didn't go with it.