HIDs and Fire/Ice Light bar.

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Schaub, Nov 8, 2011.

Newest Photos

1. Schaub

Schaub New Member

Hey all,

Haven't been around much but I just made a couple additions to the truck so I thought I'd share em with ya'll.

HIDs are Xentec 35w 6000k kits in both Lows and Fogs

Light Bar is a Plasmaglow Fire and Ice bar.

Enjoy...

Straight on...
    [​IMG]

Fog Lights at Night...
    [​IMG]

Low Beams...
    [​IMG]

Low and Fog Lights...
    [​IMG]

Fire...
    [​IMG]

Ice...
    [​IMG]
  2. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Looks very sharp! Who did the burn out in the street? :glasses:
  3. Schaub

Schaub New Member

My friend in his duramax lol
  4. BrownPats420

BrownPats420 New Member 100 Posts

looks nice, thumbs up!
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I hate to be a buzzkill, but it looks like a lot of glare from HIDs placed in a standard lamp assembly. The fogs are ok as they're mostly downward-angled, but there's a reason placement of HID kits into standard lamp assemblies is becoming illegal in many places -- the glare is flat-out unsafe for on-coming drivers ... which is flat-out unsafe for you (they might hit you). It may be cheap. It may even look good. But if it's not safe (for you and others) then you really need to ask yourself if you should be doing it. If someone wrecks and they claim it's glare-induced and you're out of legal specification then you have an UGLY lawsuit on your hands.

With safety in mind, if you need extra light to see deer, opossum, etc. then the safest ways to obtain it are to: a) perform a HID projector retrofit (do not confuse this with installation of a HID kit into a standard projector lamp -- HID projectors are VERY different from standard projectors), b) increase your fog lamps to 65 watts and wire up your fogs to always be on when your low and high beams are on AND wire up your low beams such that they are on when your high beams are on.

The first approach is very pricey. The second approach is about 10 bucks and 20 mins of your time and sheds every bit as much light as HIDs ... without the annoying (and illegal in many places) glare that cheap (i.e. under 200 clams) HID kits (without HID projectors) induce.

Personally, every time I see someone running high-glare HIDS down the road I pray that they drop a ballast, fry a wire, or have a short. I sit high enough on the road in a lifted rig that it doesn't induce glare for me ... but I know it does for others. This puts my safety, the safety of the driver with the HIDs, and the safety of anyone who shares the road with him/her at risk. That's UNCOOL -- no matter how cool someone thinks it looks.

Surreal
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  6. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Looks good! I've been contemplating the Plasmaglow light bar as well....
  7. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

All I can say is sick! That light bar is so bad! Does yours have the sequential turn signal feature??
  8. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I was wondering the same thing. I'm also wondering what the mounting is like for the 60" rigid bar. Any shots of how it attaches?
  9. Schaub

Schaub New Member

Opinion noted...

Its pretty easy to install, the wiring took most of the time but it was by no means a challenge.

You know I almost got the sequential but I was actually going to mount another bar on each side of the truck and wire them into the turn signals so they whole bar flashed when I used my signal. So I didnt want the sequential in the back and flashing on the sides. But there just wasnt a good place to mount them so I sold one and the other is going to be a xmas gift.

My kit actually isnt ridgid. Its an led light strip, very thin and flexible.

I ordered mine for Realtruck.com. They were and still are on sale:

Fire and Ice (the blinking bar)

$62 for the flexible

$104 for the solid bar

FireStorm (the sequential)

$147 for what I'm assuming is the flexible but it doesn't really say.
  10. ippielb

ippielb New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have to agree with the opinion stated above. If you're going to have HID's, angle them down more so, and i hope to god you do not drive around with your fog lights and low beams on during the day... That has to be one of my biggest pet peeves. It drives me nuts seeing people driving around down the highway with their fog lights on when it's not even foggy. It's just as bad as having your brights on for the oncoming drivers. So i flash them my fog lights, they freak out and bright me. Some times i just wish i would have enough anger to turn around and just give it to them.