1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hifonics?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by blueZ71, Mar 8, 2009.

1. blueZ71

blueZ71 New Member

Hifonics brand reputation? Horror stories? I'm thinking about buying a refurbished amp of theirs off ebay. Just curious about the quality.
  2. goodie

goodie New Member

Which amp?

Hifonics is decent budget equiptment and their higher lines are actually pretty good

But most of the amps are ~80% overrated...but like I said decent budget equiptment
  3. Chevy Newby

Chevy Newby New Member

amp

Hey man Hifonics is is a descent budget amp. I was a mobil audio & video installer for 5 years. I have installed some Hifonics Zeus amps that customers have purchased else were and they sound good. Check out Planet Audio amps, that was are primary product that we carried at the shop and those amps were really good for the money. Hifonics will be cool for you. If you have any other questions regarding mobile electronics drop me a line and I will help you out the best I can.
  4. anthonyl9

anthonyl9 New Member

In my waay younger days..I had installed more than a few of these Generation 7 & 8 HiFonics amps in my cars. I am in no way familiar with the new equipment, but I can tell you for sure that the Gen 7&8 stuff kicks @#$; and in fact I still have these amps running my BMW. Specific models that I am familiar with and have used are the Gemini Thorabd Boltar models along with the Callisto crossover and Plato e.q. (which I still own, purchased new and now are almost 20 years old and still kick)

Check here for a pdf of the Gen 8 equipment:
    http://www.maxxsonics.net/manuals/hifonics/pdfs/hf_SERIESVIII.pdf

I once had a Gemini(50*4@4 ohms) running my entire system bridged; including 2 sets of separates and a true custom built isobaric enclosure(ill dig out pics). Currently I am running a gemini with AVI interiors (2 sets of 5.25 separates, and 6.5 in the doors) and a set of kicker solo's run by a Thor.

Again, older stuff is highly reccomended. :great:
  5. blueZ71

blueZ71 New Member

Here's the link to the amp model number BXi1206D. It's rated for 900 watts RMS at 2 ohms which would be the impedance if I wired them parallel to two 4ohm single voice coil subs. Someone said that 80% of these amps are overrated, how about on this particular model? The subs are rated for 400 watts RMS each so really they'd be overpowered with this amp (if it's not overrated) but I'm not too worried about blowing them it's easier to turn power down than try to squeeze power out of an underrated amp and end up with insane distortion.
  6. SQSilverado

SQSilverado New Member

You should be fine as far as your RMS goes. But I'd be careful of a refub from ebay, check out woofersetc.com. they offer a lot of different companies. I hope that you get your system up soon, I'll be looking for the pics.
  7. leadpan101

leadpan101 New Member

i have that amp i bought it new, no problems. I have had 3 amp by them, still have 2 of them, i broke the other one, i blew it!! to many subs.
  8. TylerR04

TylerR04 New Member

I thought about getting one myself just don't have the $ right now. My friend has a 1200watt Hifonics amp hooked up to his 12" W7. Sounds really really good. The last time he went to a sound comp it hit 175 db's!
  9. goodie

goodie New Member

:rofl::rofl: sure...considering the WORLD RECORD is around 180 db:rofl::rofl:
  10. StillMatic

StillMatic New Member

That amp will destroy those Kenwoods. Trust me. I have a pair in my basement now that I took out and replace with some Jl W7's. They sound great, but those Kenwoods do not handle the power.